SOLVED Hyped Fuzz basketcase

FuzzfartsMcgee

So this is my first build not using a kit, I’ve only built one other pedal with a kit and it worked great so I tried my hand at one from pedalpcb.

Got everything together, and all I get is hum, when I switch through the 3 settings, it’s a different version of hum, but that’s all it is. Also, LED doesn’t light up.

If there’s any glaringly obvious mistakes here I’d greatly appreciate if someone would point it out. 9ECBD2D9-BF9D-44F2-807D-A8CB45504149.jpeg ED4713D8-14CE-439E-84C4-78A7B5031989.jpeg 6E5935CE-089E-498E-990C-C91369E6BF2D.jpeg 9DE55837-C12C-4C75-82EE-FE35F7B0AB5C.jpeg

Reactions: fig
We can’t see the pictures of the jacks. These jacks are usually isolated therefore there is no connection to ground. Try and take a wire from the ground of one of the jacks and touch it to the inside of the the enclosure to see if that helps.

Where is your ground wire? You're using insulated jacks. You'll need to send the ground signal to the enclosure somehow. If I'm using insulated jacks, I'll solder a wire from circuit ground to a star washer and place the washer either between the jacks and the enclosure or the stomp switch and enclosure.

Edit: Nice one, @JamieJ

Thanks y’all, I scraped some of the paint off the side with a file and just soldered right to it.

The hum is much quieter, but still no sound coming through, also LED still doesn’t light. 9157A415-C3DA-42B5-AD2C-05ECB9D71D6A.jpeg

When I click the stomp switch it either hums or zero sound at all.

No, I didn’t verify values, I just went off of what’s on the bags as I built.

I did get confused with the box film capacitors. I ordered 4.7n and 47n and got .0047u and .047u? I assumed .0047 is 4.7n, and .047u is 47n?

Sorry for the noobery

Okay. Yeah I'd recommend taking that out of the box and start with a close visual inspection of the solder side. You'll probably need to audio probe as well to find out where your signal is getting lost and the interference is coming in. What transistors did you use?

I used ceramic disc for the P values, box film for the N values, and electrolytic for the U values.

I’m going to order one of the rattlesnake audio probes. Thanks for the help!

No, sorry. You’re using switched jacks. When there’s no cable in the jack, the two terminals on either side of the jack are connected. When you insert the cable, the connection is broken. When you plug in the cable, see how the tabs ‘pop up’? You want to connect to the terminals connected to those tabs. The terminal closest to the threading is the sleeve connection for ground; the terminal furthest away is for the signal.

Your output jack was originally correct. Your input jack was wired such that when you inserted the cable, the circuit was open and there was no connection.

Attachments

• 564C1CD7-1C69-4F63-8053-95423964FC2D.jpeg
    564C1CD7-1C69-4F63-8053-95423964FC2D.jpeg
    7.7 KB · Views: 6
Ok, I ditched the jacks I had on there and went with a diff set I have.
D7D438DA-41D2-44D4-8DFC-882AB95173FA.jpeg

This is what it’s doing now.
When I switch the toggle it changes the sound of the hum, but it’s still humming, there’s 3 diff hum modes now.

Back