I have a weee multimeter . . . .

knucklehead

. . . . it runs on a pair of AAA batteries. AND its analog. I need to match diodes and this one won't help me.

I think I need a bigger-boy toy - recommendations?

What additional functionality would you like? [oscilloscope, signal generator, transistor tester, hFe measurement, etc]

What is your estimated budget?

Just rudimentary stuff really - most important at present is measuring reasonably accurately the forward voltage on LEDs and diodes.

I want to keep it around $50. If I have to spend more for accuracy so be it.

Reactions: fig
Remember, it’s not the size...it’s how you use it...

right . . . I'm often accused of over-compensating. 🤪

The multimeter I have runs on too little current - the ohm meter tops out at 1k. So base line is one that runs on one or more 9v batteries or plugs into a wall

I bought the Fluke 101 and it has served me well so far. Not sure if it has everything you need but it's relatively small and has all of the functionality I need.

I also had the old RadioShack AA powered meter. I saw the Trms6000 on Amazon for $16.99 and gave it a shot. It has done everything I’ve needed. Surprisingly solid and for $16.99 wft. Would love a fluke, someday...
01D4D91E-05E5-429D-8244-67E0EA5D7474.jpeg

Fluke's are the Gibson's of the measuring equipment world ;) Can't go wrong with a Fluke IMHO, but you're going have to sell a kidney.

I have a Fluke 189 which is my daily driver, but at home I have a Craftsman Auto range DMM. Which is what I used before I got my Fluke 25 years ago. I send it out once and a while to get calibrated and it's has always passed. Not bad for $30 DMM.. Then I have another Mastech MS8269 that I use as well at home and that's pretty accurate. I haven't sent that out, but verify it against my Fluke and Craftsman. That's not auto ranging so I don't like it as much, but at the time (2016) it was under 30.00. For t/s pedals and what not the Mastech is fine, but anything I need to have a closer tolerance my Fluke and Craftsmen are my go to.

Hold onto that analog sometimes they are needed in place of a Digital one. You can see the needle swing back and forth.

Fluke makes great meters, those are the only handhelds they have at work, but the cost is too rich for my blood.

When Harbor Freight used to give away their DMMs, I'd grab those. A few have died over the years, but I still have one that works and it's my daily driver. Only downside is the input resistance is 1M. I have an Extech I bought from Fry's years ago and I only use that one when I need a 10M input resistance because there are things about it I don't like. We're not making precision measurements here. If the meter was off by 5% it wouldn't matter. I think I'll grab one of those $17 DMMs from Amazon.

My $0.02 ±5%

I picked up a Fluke because back when I use to do facilities work the guy who was my lead was an electronics dude from ITT and that's what he got us to use because it was the brand he trusted. When it's reasonable I try to go for the "buy nice or cry twice" philosophy with tools.

I found a Fluke 101 for $50 new.

I had Chuck's issue - my RadioShack only went to 1K resistance. It being analogue is cute but a detriment as well.

Turns out I tend to my stuff - my RadioShack was got decades ago - so I coulda gotten by with a lesser meter. The extra $25 seemed worth it as I am likely to crap out before this does.

Thanks again for all the insights and recommendations!

Last edited:
I also had the old RadioShack AA powered meter. I saw the Trms6000 on Amazon for $16.99 and gave it a shot. It has done everything I’ve needed. Surprisingly solid and for $16.99 wft. Would love a fluke, someday...
Thanks for the recommendation, ordered one yesterday. Now I'll feel 2% more legit as a builder, and hopefully, I can troubleshoot my Disaster Jr Vero build! ;)

I do a large majority of my work with an old Fluke 10, which has less functionality than the Fluke 101.

That looks like a decent meter, I might have to grab one of those.

:ROFLMAO: @knucklehead looks for a recommendation and ends up giving one.

I bought countless Flukes for the techs but never for myself. I did end up with one I found abandoned in the warehouse a few years before selling the company. The battery had corroded the posts, but I cleaned them up and it worked a few years until it was dropped 15' onto concrete from a ladder by some idiot who wasn't supposed to be on the ladder. :sneaky:

I use a Hantek 2D72. 2-channel oscilloscope, signal gen, DMM, and espresso machine. The scope bandwidth is tight, and it will only measure to 100u capacitance, but takes up very little bench space for all that functionality, and makes a great latte.

Back