I'm an idiot

spi

So far I've bought most all my components from Tayda, and although I've heard stories of people receiving fake or bad parts, I've never had any problems... until now.

I recently got some BC549B and BC549C transistors. When in the Fuzz Aldrin--with the BC549Bs, I get a unity sound with fuzz and volume all the way up, and the BC549Cs I get at most a very slight overdrive. No fuzz or volume boost with these.

This doesn't seem right to me, and when using 2n5088 or MPSA18 it does its fuzz thing.

The gain on these BC549s is way off. When I put test the HFE with the Astroai, they measure around 5-10.

Anyone else encounter problems like this?

I wanted to use the BC549Cs because I heard they're good substitutes for BC109C, which is what the pedal originally uses.

Followup Q: if you didn't have BC109C, which would be your best substitute from the options I've got right now, which are MPSA13, MPSA18, 2n5088 and PN2222A?

Last edited:
If I were you I would email Tayda and show them pictures of the readings on your meter. I would also show them a working transistor to prove your meter isn't bogus. They will most likely make good on that and either offer you a replacement or credit to your next purchase. I got a bad 3pdt switch from them once, proved it was no good, and they gave me a $10 credit.

Last edited:
Reactions: spi
Well shoot, thanks for posting the pinout @Chuck D. Bones

I was pretty sure I had verified the pinout but when I looked at it again, I realized I had it reversed. Got out the meter and confirmed it just now.

What's even worse, I made the same mistake a couple days before with the P2N2222As.

I'd like to embarrassingly delete this thread but I will leave it up so others can learn from this nincompoop.

Depending on the tone you're seeking, try a low-gain Si for Q3. It could take some of the harsh edges off. EG has some 2N2221s and while not exactly a bargain, they will provide some low HFE tones. I picked some up on sale at 1/2 price a month or so ago.

+1 to contacting Tayda. Hugo gave me $70 store credit last week because the LED lampshades had incorrect drill hole dimensions on the Tayda website and I got a bunch of pre-drilled enclosures where the lampshade could fall through the mounting hole as a result. They were super cool about it.

Back