I'm planning on combining 2 PPCB's and blending with a JMK Paralyzer. I have some questions for the pros!

UtilityBeltFX

Okay so I'm preparing for an experimental build where I will combine the Van Pelt Drive and the Pathogen Distortion, and using the JMK Paralyzer to get a blend between them. Both distortions will be always on (1 footswitch) and the Paralyzer seems to be the best option to blend between fully wet one side, fully wet the other side, or a blend somewhere in the middle. I have a couple concerns heading into the build that I was hoping someone could address. I'm still fairly new at this, and this is my most ambitious idea so far.

1. Both PedalPCBs have status LEDs in their circuit. Is it fine to leave those empty, as I will probably install the solo LED on the Paralyzer circuit? Do I need to jumper anything in their stead? What about the CLR for the LED which I believe is R100 (4k7)? Do I still need to install that because it's in the circuit?

2. I've heard some effects flip the phase and obviously trying to blend between 2 out of phase circuits will sound terrible. How can I tell if a circuit flips the phase (specifically these 2)?

3. Power: Do I need to run the 9v to each effect individually, or only to the Paralyzer, which then sends power to both of them? (I think the Paralyzer has additional power sends).

I think that's it for now, but if anyone has any additional recommendations or considerations to have, by all means share them here. I'm still figuring this stuff out.

Thank you!
Ross

Okay so I'm preparing for an experimental build where I will combine the Van Pelt Drive and the Pathogen Distortion, and using the JMK Paralyzer to get a blend between them. Both distortions will be always on (1 footswitch) and the Paralyzer seems to be the best option to blend between fully wet one side, fully wet the other side, or a blend somewhere in the middle. I have a couple concerns heading into the build that I was hoping someone could address. I'm still fairly new at this, and this is my most ambitious idea so far.

1. Both PedalPCBs have status LEDs in their circuit. Is it fine to leave those empty, as I will probably install the solo LED on the Paralyzer circuit? Do I need to jumper anything in their stead? What about the CLR for the LED which I believe is R100 (4k7)? Do I still need to install that because it's in the circuit?

2. I've heard some effects flip the phase and obviously trying to blend between 2 out of phase circuits will sound terrible. How can I tell if a circuit flips the phase (specifically these 2)?

3. Power: Do I need to run the 9v to each effect individually, or only to the Paralyzer, which then sends power to both of them? (I think the Paralyzer has additional power sends).

I think that's it for now, but if anyone has any additional recommendations or considerations to have, by all means share them here. I'm still figuring this stuff out.

Thank you!
Ross

1. You won't need to jumper anything on the PPCB boards. The CLRs may be omitted

2. The Pathogen does invert the signal (they each have several inverting stages, but the pathogen has an odd number of them, so it's output is inverted), so they will be out of phase unless you add an additional inverting stage to either one. I'd suggest adding an inverting buffer of some sort right after the Pathogen's volume pot

3. You will need to have each circuit attached to the 9v jack. The Paralyzer has one courtesy slot. Personally, I just gang solder the power wires (both 9v and ground) directly to the jack

1. You won't need to jumper anything on the PPCB boards. The CLRs may be omitted

2. The Pathogen does invert the signal (they each have several inverting stages, but the pathogen has an odd number of them, so it's output is inverted), so they will be out of phase unless you add an additional inverting stage to either one. I'd suggest adding an inverting buffer of some sort right after the Pathogen's volume pot

3. You will need to have each circuit attached to the 9v jack. The Paralyzer has one courtesy slot. Personally, I just gang solder the power wires (both 9v and ground) directly to the jack
Thank you so much for this response! Very helpful! Regarding the phase inversion, I would need to add something like this after the Pathogens-Out on the way to the Paralyzer's return?

Is anyone brave enough to take a look at this and see how much I"m fucking up???
My Paralyzer finally showed up from Canada (he forgot to ship it :))

View attachment 46981
It looks good.
I'd recommend making the wires as short as possible. If possible, get your enclosure drilled out, and mock it up prior to wiring.
The Ground wires coming from the bottom of the Van Pelt and Pathogen are superfluous, so you could omit those to tidy it up a bit

It looks good.
I'd recommend making the wires as short as possible. If possible, get your enclosure drilled out, and mock it up prior to wiring.
The Ground wires coming from the bottom of the Van Pelt and Pathogen are superfluous, so you could omit those to tidy it up a bit
Bless your soul. Thanks dude!

Back