Informant Overdrive

swelchy

Just wrapped up this Rat Variant... The circuit sounds very modern rat like... not near as raspy and heavy as an old school rat... I'd say smoother.. I actually prefer it over a standard rat because it's smoother. Fun build and I took it a different direction to throw it in a bigger enclosure. Been so busy with a new job I havent been able to finish some builds out so I went after this one last night till I was done soldering and wrapped up the box this morning. This one is a good one!
informant.jpg informantguts.jpg

You bring about a good point. I went looking, because I love Rats. I was looking at the schematic, because I love schematics too, looks more like a DS-1 than a Rat. Is it based on anything or is it a Pedalpcb original type pedal?

You bring about a good point. I went looking, because I love Rats. I was looking at the schematic, because I love schematics too, looks more like a DS-1 than a Rat. Is it based on anything or is it a Pedalpcb original type pedal?
It's based on the 1981 Inventions DRV

A Rat with a K-style buffer and switching, plus all opamp gain stages rather than a single opamp gain stage into a JFET output stage.

Dig the artwork, OP! This is a great circuit.

Just wrapped up this Rat Variant... The circuit sounds very modern rat like... not near as raspy and heavy as an old school rat... I'd say smoother.. I actually prefer it over a standard rat because it's smoother. Fun build and I took it a different direction to throw it in a bigger enclosure. Been so busy with a new job I havent been able to finish some builds out so I went after this one last night till I was done soldering and wrapped up the box this morning. This one is a good one!
View attachment 33991View attachment 33992
Awesome design! Did you still yourself, or use tayda drilling service? If so would you happen to have the coordinates? I want to do the same with my informant;build it b the bigger enclosure. Thanks in advance!

Haha dude I was born in 74’… you must be 17 years wiser than me… I’m kinda an old soul and probably should have been born in those days… especially because of my taste in music. Yeah I have a couple more of these boards and the plan is to build another for myself and throw in some mods… That’s a great idea to put some clipping options… I still haven’t learned how to properly do a clipping mod on toggle switch…

Lovely build!

I like the name change from "1981 Inventions DRV" to "1974 Inventions".

I've got the ELS PCB of this one, and I'm renaming mine something like "1984 Inquisitions" Controls are to be labelled P, R & C .
I'll follow your lead and go for a bigger enclosure, include a few mods such as a clean blend (Ministry of Truth).

O'Brien to Winston Smith —
"...no one ever seizes power with the intention of relinquishing it. Power is not a means, it is an end. One does not establish a dictatorship in order to safeguard a revolution; one makes the revolution in order to establish the dictatorship. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power."

That line, the rats in Room 101, the doublethink and newspeak... all that and more came together in 1949, amongst other things.

Haha dude I was born in 74’… you must be 17 years wiser than me… I’m kinda an old soul and probably should have been born in those days…
He could just be 7 years older, Barry Howser MD!

I feel you with the old soul statement. I was born in 79 and sometimes I feel like my musical tastes don’t go far past that.

The DRV is a pretty nice pedal, a tamed rat in some ways. I built a 1q81 and it’s delightful with P90s. The clipping options would be great though

Back