intentional voltage reduction in jet drive or ungula?

!obey

my setup for a decade or so has been using the sag feature on a voodoo labs pedal power+ to run old maxon jd-01 jet drivers (analog, a muff with a tight Q) with a little voltage as possible which i guess is 4v. one issue is that with the low-battery simulation so low, the leds barely lights up.

i was thinking to build two jet drive pedals, if it's possible, modify the build to put an additional voltage control (maybe lower than 4v) on the pedal and ideally keep the led at 9v.
is it possible to do this sort of thing by adding a simple voltage divider after the led and before the main circuit, maybe using antilog pot controlling the resistance to the ground of the divider?
that's maybe an academic question.
a more practical question might be whether running a jet drive this way is possible since the IC's might need 9v or thereabouts. if that's the case, an ungula (eqd hoof clone) might work. any thoughts on running Ge transitors at low voltage?

Make sure that the Vcc rail (after the pot) has a 100uF bypass to ground. VFE does something clever with the Fiery Red Horse, they throttle the voltage to the clipping stages only.

Ge transistors have no problem running at low voltage.

I don't have a schematic for the JD-01, so I won't comment on that except to say that below a certain voltage, opamps stop behaving like opamps. That voltage varies depending on the opamp's part number, who made it and when. IC recipes change and the mfgr only guarantees the datasheet values. If you color outside the lines, you're on your own. Try it and see.

Back