IPA

Barry

Where you guys getting you Isopropyl these days? I just paid $32 US on Amazon for four quarts (shipped) of 99.9%, is that the going rate?

Nostradoomus

Not sure, I bought a 4 pack at Costco (and toilet paper) in February...what a stroke of luck that was. I think it was 10-12 dollars CDN, they aren’t quart bottles though.

Gordo

What? I thought we were back to normal. I'll check the local grocery store tomorrow while I'm out (normally shop on Sundays but forgot mustard) but I think Illinois is good.

zgrav

Plenty of hand sanitizer in the local pharmacies and markets these day, but the IPAlcohol never seems to be in stock. Luckily I snagged a couple of bottles much earlier in the year.

HamishR

I am so sick of IPA. I like a good IPA but some pubs in Melbourne sell 12 beers - all variations on IPA. Why can't more brewers make a full-flavoured dry, complex pilsener? A good Pils like Weihenstephan or Trumer has plenty of hops and complex flavours but beer doesn't have to taste like a hop grower's sample bag. It's as if after decades of drinking bland American "beer" like Buds and Coors some young guy with a beard discovered that beer has hops in it. So they got all giddy and went crazy with hops. Enough already!

Barry

I am so sick of IPA. I like a good IPA but some pubs in Melbourne sell 12 beers - all variations on IPA. Why can't more brewers make a full-flavoured dry, complex pilsener? A good Pils like Weihenstephan or Trumer has plenty of hops and complex flavours but beer doesn't have to taste like a hop grower's sample bag. It's as if after decades of drinking bland American "beer" like Buds and Coors some young guy with a beard discovered that beer has hops in it. So they got all giddy and went crazy with hops. Enough already!
It's the same here, if they have a Stout it's usually Guiness, now that the weathers turning cooler some good Porter's might show up now and then and the stuff they call Pilsner here is no better than the American Lagers.

caiofilipini

I can't complain, we've got plenty of very nice small breweries here in NoVA, and they all brew all kinds of very good beers. I used to love in Germany, so I can't complain about that either. Although being from Brazil originally, I sure don't miss the local beer from there.

Jovi Bon Kenobi

Bud to single hop experimentals...I'll fuckin drink anything and probably find something about it to admire. I agree though, IPA's have oversaturated the market. Still, there is such a wide spectrum of achievable flavor profiles that I think it's quite possible to turn die hard haters into appreciaters if it's done with finesse ?. Like, citra hops just rustle my jimmies. IDK, I like that they can taste like goddamn bananas and passion fruit even though you don't add those ridiculous ingredients to the beer. But, right now all my budget allows is Coors. Fu pandemic.

Jovi Bon Kenobi

I was in fitzroy a few years ago and enjoyed the pils and lagers at little creatures. They opened up a satellite brewery here where I live which was surprising.

HamishR

Is the Little Creatures still there in Fitzroy? We go to the Fremantle one (the original!) every year for my son's birthday so we were there not long ago. The star of the evening was the Beergroni, a dark ale with unexpected flavours but strangely moreish.

The pub which annoyed me most was Naked For Satan, which had loads of beers on tap and they all tasted the same. Agree re Sours - no body or complexity just a candy-like sourness.

Almost a year ago my wife and I were in Bavaria and Austria. I was like a pig in poo - beer halls, schnitzels, schnapps... They even sold Trumer in 660mL bottles which I had for christmas lunch. Salzburg has the incredible Augustiner Braüstübel which is like heaven for us. Beer sold by the litre in stoneware steins straight from the barrel. Huge dining halls. And a walk back to the hotel through falling snow if we were lucky. For people from a sun-bleached country it was like a dream. I first went there in 1988 and couldn't believe what I was seeing - I felt like we had fallen through a time-warp.

Beeriness is next to godliness.

Dreamlands

I draw the line at flemish sour beers. It just tastes like carbonated bile.

Try making Carbonade Flamande with some Flanders Red. It's like Beef Bourguignon, but using beer instead of red wine.
The flavors balance out and become very savory; the craziness of the sour mellows out.
Good for a cold rainy day.

Also, I just ordered some 99% IPA. I think I must've found the same supplier Barry did: via Amazon, same price for 4 quarts.

Last edited:

Jovi Bon Kenobi

Try making Carbonade Flamande with some Flanders Red.
Huh, I've never heard of that dish. Neat! Made beef bourguignon a bunch. Definitely cold weather chow. I'll check it out!

Also, back onto the pre-hijacked thread topic...I just looked at my last order for 99.9% IPA back in Oct of last year. $16.50 for a quart.

Barry

Huh, I've never heard of that dish. Neat! Made beef bourguignon a bunch. Definitely cold weather chow. I'll check it out!

Also, back onto the pre-hijacked thread topic...I just looked at my last order for 99.9% IPA back in Oct of last year. $16.50 for a quart.
Well I guess my $8 a quart ain't so bad, if it's really 99.9%, and I have to make Beef Bourguignon for my sister every year at Christmas as it's her favorite, not that I mind at all, cause I like it too