Issue with Pathogen Distortion

danmc_27

Just a bit of an FYI here really.

I've been building a bunch of Pedal PCB designs recently and I'm really enjoying the layout and results generally. Just finished building a Pathogen Distortion and had a bit of an issue and though I should let everyone know.

I populated the board, wired it all up and then soldered the switch and potentiometers to the board last while it was all in the enclosure, as is my usual practice.

When I went to test the pedal I got no sound and an acrid smell rising from the pedal.

Took a look inside to fine the R101 (10R) resistor completely blackened

ai7Nbfe.jpg

Sorry not to have taken pics during this process but R101 is circled in red in the picture below

ekgX90D.jpg

Circled in yellow is the circuit protection diode and I believe it was this that was the culprit.

As can (hopefully) be seen these parts are positioned right next to the Voice switch. When I pulled the board out to take a look, I believe that the cut off legs of the diode were both (just barely) making contact with the metal housing of the DPDT.

Anyways, I fixed that all up. Unfortunately I did damage the switch and do some small damage to the through holes for mounting it in getting it off so I could remove the resistor and diode more easily but it's all back together now and working fine. Just thought I should let everyone know to be on the lookout for such things. I know I will be in the future.

Cheers,
Dan

Back