It's my PedalPCB-iversary. Tell me your fav pedal + build tip.

bengarland

It's my PedalPCB-iversary -- one year since I started down this wild and wonderful road of building guitar pedals.

To help me celebrate, tell me:

1) What's your favorite PedalPCB?

2) What's one pedal-building tip or trick that you've learned that you think other builders should know?

I'll start...

Favorite pedal is the Duo Phase but I also really like the Stockade. Going further down the list it's hard to pick a definitive order in my Top 10... it depends on my mood so I'll just list 'em alphabetically: Arcana, Dark Rift, Magnetron, Muffin Factory, Paragon, Parenthesis, War Scythe, Zapper. At the bottom of the list though are definitely the Backfeeder -- kinda gimmicky, Procrastinator -- very narrow range of where it sounds good/interesting, and the Captain Bit, Roboto, and Super Heterodyne -- I thought the low fi sound would more interesting in real life compared to the YouTube demos but these 3 are just so unpredictable and "bad weird" instead of "good weird" IMHO.

The tip or trick I can share is:

We're all cleaning our boards after soldering, right? I started out using the standard laboratory style pump-top bottle, you know the type where there's a little reservoir on top and you bang your brush on it to make it squirt out more alcohol? That ended up being too fiddly for me. I replaced it with a clear plastic foodservice squirt bottle with a pointy tip, the kind like you would see for ketchup and mustard at a hot dog stand. With the tip cut to a very narrow opening, I can easily squeeze the IPA all over the board and then scrub it with a brush. It seems like a simple change but this has allowed me to get the boards a lot cleaner in half the time. Gotta use a lot of it otherwise you're just smearing diluted flux all over the board. I use one of those photo lens cleaner air squeezer bulbs to blast the IPA out from under the resistors etc, then wipe it off with kimwipes. Works like a charm.

As far as what I've learned? Overall I'd say that it's easier than I imagined. Building pedals still takes lots of time and concentration and attention to detail, but I've been surprised at how there's not a lot that can go wrong. Every time I've had an issue it's turned out to be something simple: an electrolytic cap installed backwards, a jack tip accidentally touching the enclosure, a bad 3PDT (don't buy them from Tayda), an IC installed backwards -- but nothing catastrophic. I've never totally fried anything. And truthfully, the mistakes have just helped me understand what's going on instead of just blindly looking at it as a "paint by numbers".

Lastly I will say that I really appreciate all of the hard work that Robert puts into designing these boards. A few months ago I ventured into building a few pedals from other sources, and they weren't nearly as easy and honestly I wasn't satisfied with the end product (I won't name names). I had mistakenly assumed early on that "all DIY pedals must be like this" but they're not. I appreciate how consistent the PedalPCB designs are. Very few surprises.

Thanks everyone. I'm looking forward to seeing which pedals are the faves around here!

1) Fave(s):
Seahorse (chorusish)
Zapper (filter/distortion)
Magnetron (delay)
CDXL Reissue (autowah)

2) Tips/Tricks:
Read lots of PedalPCB forum posts, and jump in with questions.
Go slow, appreciate the mistakes
Don't forget to keep making noise, and find a friend who'd like your extra pedals.

1) Fave(s):
Seahorse (chorusish)
Zapper (filter/distortion)
Magnetron (delay)
CDXL Reissue (autowah)

2) Tips/Tricks:
Read lots of PedalPCB forum posts, and jump in with questions.
Go slow, appreciate the mistakes
Don't forget to keep making noise, and find a friend who'd like your extra pedals.

Wow! I'm your padawan and didn't knew it. I did all 4 you mention and a big fan of the forum here. :)

Fave is the cataclysm delay, a clone of the eqd disaster transport jr, which I think is a clone of the feel blue with a tone knob.

Tip:

I use blutack when soldering my boards. Put your components on, crimp the board, stick a blob of blutack on component side then stick that to your work bench. Easy peasy and gives you something stable to work against.

1) Trumpeter, a clone of the Paul Trombetta Mini-Bone.

2) A few:
• Socket your transistors, and solder them in once you settle on the right set.
• Hfe and leakage matter more than part name when you're building with germanium transistors.
• Wet toner transfer for enclosure art works best with lower paper weight and a white enclosure.
• Make sure to remove the powder coat from the input and output jack holes if you're using them to ground the circuit.

Last edited:
Some of my favorites;

Celestial Drive -
a sleeper overdrive that sounds great.

Constrictor - A very useful compressor

Covert OD w/mods - makes my deluxe sound like a plexi and cleans up great with volume knob.

Dung Beetle - there is no bad sound in this pedal, at all.

jetaime and clever - this combo pedal I made has had so many uses it is nuts.

Mammal and Poptop are two preamp pedals i like to use with my Mesa Fillmore 50 for some different sounds.

Honestly there is a ton more that I love and find at different times with a different guitar or amp all of them have sounded great. I built a eternal burst and thought “ehhh”. Played it today with a different amp and some other pedals and it was awesome.

My biggest tip is finish the build! You as a builder go through all of this part gathering and populating to soldering to assembly, you buy the sweet knobs and enclosure and the dragon blood diodes and unicorn dick transistors but then never label anything.

I have seen some incredible work over the 15 years of pedal building with guys/gurls using sharpies and paint pens or inkjets and spray paint.

I know for me when I can look at a build and it is uniquely me and all done up it gets played more and I actually know how to use it.

To be fair this is also coming frthe guy that didn’t finish a pedal for about the first ten years of building.

Second piece of advice, lock tight on the power and out put jacks. The blue stuff that keeps stuff from moving around.

Third and last piece from anyone crazy enough to listen, build everything you can. Just because your idol played a fuzz face doesn’t mean a tonebender doesn’t work better for you.

I can highly recommend the Golden Falk (2 channel jfet Marshall amp). Gives a realistic Marshall vibe into Fender amp.
Sockets for the caps to do some tweaking. I solder the pots after mounting them to the enclosure. This makes a tensionfree build.

1. Caesar. Best chorus of all time, you must hear it to believe it.

2. When working on a build that calls for a dual gang pot, have a six pack. It's more fun, and you can cut the cardboard from the box into a small square and tape to the back of the pot for insulation.

Some of my favorites:

Face Melter--don't let the sleazy heritage of this one turn you off. It is unique as far as I can tell: a bi-mos op-amp sandwiched between two SHOs. It's a great stackIAB style pedal, but with its own thing going, like a bit of a rattitude. (The hi-gain mode is a bit much though, if I built it again I'd just leave the switch off).

Pendulum--I don't use it much, but I really love the phasey sound of this tremolo.

Honorable mention for the Mach One and the humble Bluebreaker. Given how much I like the BB, is it odd that I still haven't built any of the tricked-out variants?

Some folks mentioned the Cataclysm and Magnetron delays. I built both together, and let my friend pick one to keep. He chose the Cataclysm and he chose correctly. I need to build myself one now.

Tip:
I always had a hard time with PCB-mounted LEDs. Once I started socketing them, and extending the led legs with solid core wire, it made builds easier for me--also great for when you don't want to put the LED where the board wants it.

My favorite PedalPCB builds have been
Muroidea - classic versatile dirt, my all time fave

Dream Fuzz - heavy fuzzies with a metallic tinge

Pendulum - wonderful harmonic trem that can invoke some vibe and Phaser sounds

Minnow - wackily aggressive Envelope filter with a nifty sample and hold feature

Low Tide - still playing with this one, but it's on its way to being my favorite chorus/ vibe. Makes me wish there were more envelope controlled modulation boards available

Duo-Phase - LUSH phasing with some cool options

Waddle Box - funké

Captain Bit - lo-fi fuzzy octave synth that tracks well

Arachnid/Pythagoras - I'm terribly fond of the Dual Pitch, Lo-Fi, and Dual Ring Mod patches

Not sure I have any tips that haven't been stated

Ultisol Distortion, any for the Revv Pedals, the Zuul noise gate, the Dirty Shirley, the Keeley Tape Echo, the Golden Falk, and about 50 other pedals. General TSO. The Dude. Mercurial Boost. Any of the ChuckBones stuff. Ice Cream with CB mods. I won't get started with fuzzes.

Back