J201 replacement for a signal splitter?

Dali

Since the PCB is not available here and I trust our little community, I will ask. Feel free @PedalPCB to remove the question.

I just bought 3 of these Signal Splitter to build some weird delay and loop setup:

But after the purchase, I realized it requires 4X J201 (so 12!) and since it's a non-musical PCB I was wondering if any replacement would be "good enough" until pre-soldered MMBFJ201 are available here. I'm not a purist with sound. Those are the suggestions I've seen so far.

2N5457 (not available at Tayda)
MPF102 (not available at Tayda)
2n5458

Anyone want to express themselves?

Why would I remove the question? This is perfectly acceptable.

This is a bloody competitor... :poop:

But on the other hand you refuse to make those and do weird hipster DayDream Mark 2 stuff instead...

Oh, and thanks for your answer!

I got a bunch of 2N5087 (I don't even know why). Would those works too?

No, you need JFETs. I don’t see this circuit being particularly picky about the type. 5457/8/9, pf5102, 4393 etc should all work.

This is a bloody competitor... :poop:
This isn't a competition. (And why is he so bloody? What happened to the dude? Are people attacking PCB vendors?) ?

The only time I discourage this sort of thing is in the Wishlist threads... and that is more of a courtesy to those who are making the request... If you request a project and some other guy comes along and says "Well, you can get it at Fiddlesticks PCB Emporium right now" that tends to bump the priority of that request down on the list. I say "discourage" because this isn't a rule, it's just a suggestion.

I got a bunch of 2N5087 (I don't even know why). Would those works too?

It needs to be a JFET, not a BJT.

Anyone want to express themselves?

I was once abducted by aliens. I think they stole my wallet. :alien:

Just about any N-channel JFET will work in that circuit. You want something with Vp < 5V. Adjust R2 to get somewhere between 3V and 6V on the source pins. With some JFETs, you can leave leave out R2 altogether.

Tell us which JFETs you have or can get and I'll make a recommendation. Not all JFETs have the same pinout, but we can deal with that.

Just for your curiosity, I wrote to Fuzz Dog about J201 for the circuit and they replied really fast:

"We supply 2n5457. it works exactly the same. we have plenty of J201, they’re just not necessary in this case. "

2N5458 has same pinout as J201, but Vp for 2N5458 is all over the place. They will work, but you will probably have to remove R2.

2N5458 has same pinout as J201, but Vp for 2N5458 is all over the place. They will work, but you will probably have to remove R2.
I wish I knew what it means...

I will probably wait for those real J201 from the nice people at PedalPCB... :)

Back