JHS 3 series Overdrive

Looks like the electrosmash tubescreamer circuit with shifted filter points (high-pass of ~600Hz, low-pass ~1500Hz).

You could easily build this with the little green scream machine pcb and about 5 part substitutions. You'd need a clipping diode switch but those are easy to add externally. Or you could use the JHS Moonshine pcb and you'll have a charge pumped version of that pedal.

A lot of the differences in that circuit and the original tube screamer are simply because of availability (470k vs 510k to bias the transistor stages, the 25k pot instead of 20k). The significant ones are in the feedback look that set the gain and filter values.

i think that fuzz sounds great in the demos i've listened to. seems versatile.
Same, in fact in the sweetwater stream yesterday Josh said that it's a better sounding Fuzz Face than the legends of fuzz one they just released, so it would be pretty exciting to build one of these

Since a generic non-FV-1 build is about 36$, it's still cheaper than any "made in USA budget pedal"...

Am I right with my calculation with Tayda parts?
1602171828069.png

:rolleyes:

Well, it's not like we couldn't have guessed.
I'm mildly surprised by the digital platform. Less sophisticated design than many of the cheapest imports available and a definite step below what Bugg's got available here at PedalPCB.

I have to give credit where it's due, though. Josh's superpower is being a salesman. I'm sure he'll have a video explaining the epic mojo of some 80s digital pedals and how his freshest designs reflect that spirit. Honestly his gifts are kinda wasted on a pedal company.

I have to give credit where it's due, though. Josh's superpower is being a salesman.

The 3 Series pedals are expensive business cards.

They really can't be making a lot of profit from them, but they sound good, I actually like the way they look, and they've covered a lot of ground with a few pedals.

It was a dang good move, and it was pretty cool of Josh to show the schematics like he did.

Back