JHS Double Effect

chongmagic

A guy wants me to build him a Morning Glory and Supervolt in a single enclosure. Do you think I could fit it into a 1590bb?

I think the two PCBs will fit side by side, but the two knobs closest to the center of the enclosure are going to be awfully close to each other.

Yeah I dunno about that one, I’m doing up a run of Muroidea/MAE Akron rubber fire boards and the Muroidea fits just well enough to be comfy sideways in a 1590BB....I’d use a 1590xx more than likely.

I'd opt for the 1590xx/ 1790ns, but th 1590bb should work fine. Look at the Paragon template for a guide

Yep, 2.95 and 2.975... That's going to be a problem in a 1590BB.
Please let me know how this turns out. Im thinkin about doin a double barrel clone next (with the MG and TS808 pcbs). Id like to install an order switch as well. Thanks in advance

I’ll venture a guess... same place he gets his PCBs made? FR-4 (typical pcb material) is a fiberglass, which the description on the faceplates for here says it’s fiberglass. Silk screen for the graphics. Is that correct? Been meaning to get into doing that myself, is there anything specific to watch out for?

I’ll venture a guess... same place he gets his PCBs made?

That's correct, they're just 1mm PCBs.

The biggest "gotchas" are:
  • Minimum order is usually 5pcs, do you need 5? (There are places that do less, but they end up costing more)
    You can counter this by printing different graphics on each side, but the control layout has to be symmetrical
  • They tend to print production codes right smack in the middle of your design (see the middle faceplate, right beside the footswitch)
    This is why most of the faceplates have identical graphics on each side, flip it over to the "more acceptable" side
  • The silkscreen isn't always aligned perfectly
  • No shading/grayscale/color
    Your design MUST be pure black and white and not extremely high resolution, if you get too creative you'll end up with a mess
  • Some PCB fabricators will flag your faceplate as invalid because they don't see any copper layer, no big deal, but an inconvenience
Aside from that , it works pretty good because you can align everything precisely with the PCB

Back