JHS LITTLE BLACK BUFFER(VERO)

This was my first attempt with vero and im not too disappointed in the turnout but my buffer only produces little output when engaged.

Attachments

• 293852216_1702688113422216_7183410212559164035_n.jpg
    293852216_1702688113422216_7183410212559164035_n.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 61
  • 294065600_1237604970309347_5495995102162839751_n.jpg
    294065600_1237604970309347_5495995102162839751_n.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 61
  • JHS Little Black Buffer.png
    JHS Little Black Buffer.png
    29 KB · Views: 63
Run a hot iron down the tracks of each row to clean them up. You may also want to take a solder sucker on some of those since it looks like a lot of excess
Gotcha, i have done this a couple of times so far and the result has been the same. After hitting it with the probe, i start to loose signal after the first cut on the first row.

Everything is done from the perspective of the top side without copper tracks, so when you do the cuts under you have to do it how they would be on the top. When I was doing vero I would just mark the cuts with a sharpie and it was enough to see on the other side. then your board with components should look identical to the picture presented when finished

Someone else should double check my logic here, but since you mirrored everything you might be able to place the IC on the copper side of the board if I'm looking at this right. Right now you have all the pins swapped left to right with how it is, but everything else is in place relative to the mirror.

I mark all my cuts on the component side with a sharpie. Double check it, sit in on a 2x4 scrap board, then drill through each one with a 1/8" drill bit (might be a 3/16" bit). When they're all done I take my multimeter and run it around those cuts to make sure I don't have continuity along the cut traces. Now if I have two that are right next to each other drilling can get a little weird, so I'll drill the first one then turn it over and drill the second one just enough to remove the trace.

Before I did that I would stick a clipped off resistor leg through each cut, flip the board so I could see the spot to cut, then manually turn a drill bit to make the cut in the trace. This was way too time consuming.

+1 to being reversed... the component side should look the the picture when properly oriented. You have to mirror it when you make the cuts on the strip side.

I've done it too.

Mark is a good fella but I don't use many of his layouts. He does some weird stuff with placement. When I see a layout like that I'll sometimes redraw it how I like it even though I'll probably never build it! That's the anal side showing up I'm afraid!

You don't need to labour the solder so much.The copper trances on Vero will wick the solder very fast if you heat it for a second with your iron. The only time I ever have problems is with older components where the wire is corroded. If the wire is dull grey and slightly rough to the feel I'll use a little wet+dry paper or even a rough pencil eraser to take of the corrosion. The solders should all be shiny and silver and have a nice "blob" to them. You need to use a fine point on the iron and make sure it's clean and shiny with solder. It looks to me like there might be a bridge or two on the top two rows. It doesn't need to be much - you might struggle to see it, but even a tiny piece of crud can create a circuit defeating bridge.

At the risk of being a show-off skitey wanker, here is how I would lay it out. No stretching caps out further than they want to go.

JHS Buffer.png

Also, if you're worried about getting the layout backwards you cab flip the image in Preview. Under Tools select Flip horizontal and this happens:

JHS Buffer.png

Now you have a layout for the reverse of the board where you need to drill the holes/clear the copper.

Last edited:
Looking at the OP, both layouts show what to do when looking at the board component side up. When you flip the board over you will need to mirror it when making the actual cuts. FOr example, the top row: there is a cut to be made on the 4th column from the left when you are looking at the board from the component side. When you actually make the cut, flip the board over horizontally and make the cut on the 4th hole from the right. When you flip the board back over to put in components you will have a cut made on the 4th from the left. If it's still confusing take a look at my above post and use a sharpie.

Back