Jhs ratpack

JamieJ

This is impossible for DIY as it uses a microcontroller to switch between all the circuits inside so you can think of this as 9 completely separate circuits in one pedal that’s switched using the knob.

The closest you can get to with DIY would be different diodes selected on a 1P8T rotary switch.

Here’s an example from @jimilee

Bobbyd67

Challenge accepted. :D
Holy crap xD I wasn't expecting that! got a couple of dm's telling me this one was impossible ^^ but I really made this thread more as a joke xD but heck if you make the board I will of course buy it :D!

You know you're opening yourself up to all kinds of SMD/microcontroller wishlist requests by saying this ^^ I can see some Alexander pedals request in the future :p

thewintersoldier

I think anything beyond sym, asym and led is pointless. Germanium loses so much volume that unity is almost cranked. Even stock and led would be fine. Once again the troubleshooting section will be like
181-1815455_post-suicide-pepe-clipart.png

Mentaltossflycoon

I'd rather see the Caroline stand alone pcb (if it's actually any different) as it seems to be the widely accepted favorite of those I know who've played the packrat. It's a neat little novelty or study of the circuit but I'd sooner build 4 or 5 separate rats. I just can't see a sane person turning that knob on stage. Like "dude I really need a turbo rat on this next jam instead of the white rat."

jimilee

This is what started the wheels turning for the rat I layed out. Instead of a whole bunch of different rats, different killing options and a few other mods. I’d like a pack rat though.

PBWilson1970

I don't have the experience or know how to answer this question and don't know how the Rat Pack is set up, but would it be possible to get some kind of approximation if it's set up like the Muffin Factory? Toggles and dip-switches and all...

jesuscrisp

I don't have the experience or know how to answer this question and don't know how the Rat Pack is set up, but would it be possible to get some kind of approximation if it's set up like the Muffin Factory? Toggles and dip-switches and all...
The major differences between Rat versions are clipping diodes, gain filters and op amps, plus stuff like the tone cap, input/output buffers, direction of the tone knob.

Single op amps you could theoretically put on a rotary switch and toggle between maybe 4 of them with a 3P4T. Gain filters you can put on a Toggle, Clipping diodes on a toggle can already give you LED/silicone/germanium (or 2 of those and a diode lift), for anything more you'll need a rotary again. Then you can also go ahead and add soft clipping options too.

And then you end up with a rat that has tons of options that you'll never use anyway and you wish it was just the one setting you like and took up less space. Trust me, I have one like that!

thewintersoldier

The major differences between Rat versions are clipping diodes, gain filters and op amps, plus stuff like the tone cap, input/output buffers, direction of the tone knob.

Single op amps you could theoretically put on a rotary switch and toggle between maybe 4 of them with a 3P4T. Gain filters you can put on a Toggle, Clipping diodes on a toggle can already give you LED/silicone/germanium (or 2 of those and a diode lift), for anything more you'll need a rotary again. Then you can also go ahead and add soft clipping options too.

And then you end up with a rat that has tons of options that you'll never use anyway and you wish it was just the one setting you like and took up less space. Trust me, I have one like that!
everyone will end up just using the stock rat or turbo rat settings. The fomo of people is unreal. half the people dont even know if they like a rat cause they havent played one and then want this smh

jesuscrisp

I played and built a share and not even I am sure sometimes if I REALLY like it. I do like the idea of having one on my board though for inexplicable reasons.