Just to prove I’m still at it.

Diynot

no thriller, just filler before the next build report, which should hopefully be the Electric Mama Flanger. Decided I needed to try another round with a compressor, specifically for bass. Searched around the forum and seems like the Thumbsucker (engineers thumb) was a popular choice. This is actually the second one that I have built, the first being a 4 knob version. What to say? I……don’t get compressors. I understand the concept and can tell the difference between when one is on vs not, but I can’t seem to get the ones I have owned/built to do what I hear them doing for others. Build wise, this was an easy enough one, no unobtainium parts or painstaking calibration. Sounds wise? Meh? I need to twiddle the knobs more, but it’s def not changing my mind on compressors in general. Didn’t have any 072s on hand so subbed some 082s. Pics:
A0EB68E1-11A0-45C0-BA53-A61CFA1814E6.jpeg 6C7F0973-7944-49C5-9C92-C8ACB291DD6D.jpeg
Next, contrary to its name (unpleasant surprise), the Desolate fuzz was a pretty pleasant surprise. Don’t really know why I picked up this board, but glad I did. Goes from pretty smooth and beefy to super gated, splatty. Sounded great with my tele, need to test it with the bass. Like the Thumbsucker, easy build, no weird parts. Good bang for the buck. Would recommend. Pics:
059C5BBF-B731-4F48-8E8F-AF23C0543C4D.jpeg 98F1FC79-607A-494E-A208-CB0B2299D51A.jpeg

Question man, I just built the desolate fuzz but I think I messed up. What's the value of the yellow cap and the value of the red cap south to your electrolytic cap? Did you notice the build document is different from the desolate fuzz? I appreciate the help.

Question man, I just built the desolate fuzz but I think I messed up. What's the value of the yellow cap and the value of the red cap south to your electrolytic cap? Did you notice the build document is different from the desolate fuzz? I appreciate the help.
The red is a 1uf WIMA film (hence the smaller size) and the yellow is a 100pf mlcc. I follow the screen print on the board typically.

I got ya. I think I ordered the wrong part. In the BOM it says the 1uF is supposed to be the MLCC. So I put that in the spot where your 1uF WIMA is.

I got ya. I think I ordered the wrong part. In the BOM it says the 1uF is supposed to be the MLCC. So I put that in the spot where your 1uF WIMA is.
It looks like I have a different revision board than the build doc, but the build doc does state film OR mlcc for C8. Since it is in the audio path and the silkscreen allows for space, I went with film. I think maybe an MLCC was suggested in the build doc because of size restrictions for C8 in the board shown in the build doc

Sounds wise? Meh? I need to twiddle the knobs more, but it’s def not changing my mind on compressors in general.
This is the least interesting diy circuit I ever built. Once you understand how to prevent the Engineer Thumb from distorting, i think it's perfect when you want to have a "transparent" compressor, that you won't ever notice. In my humble opinion, it doesn't really do the job. Not for guitars and even less with bass.

Aion's Meridian (Guyatone PS-20 or 21) is a good choice, especially for bass. It's very pleasing and very addictive, kind of the opposite of Engineer Thumb.

I'm sure there are other interesting compressors, like General Tso, but I'm not sure they're really good with bass, I would expect some annoying bass cut with guitar compressors.

Make sure to build it with bass specifications :

This will change your mind about compressors, or I'll eat my hat.
Color control set at 12', Exciter at 10 or 11' and Sustain at 3', everything will sound better, with full bass frequencies, more precision and clarity. Even drum machines or bass synths can be easily improved with it.

Edit: BBW is also a great circuit to try with bass, not really a compressor, but it allows you to shape the lows and the highs in a very interesting way, not exactly how a preamp EQ would do it. Just like the Meridian, you don't know how much you miss it, until you've tried it.

Last edited:
This will change your mind about compressors, or I'll eat my hat.
Color control set at 12', Exciter at 10 or 11' and Sustain at 3', everything will sound better, with full bass frequencies, more precision and clarity. Even drum machines or bass synths can be easily improved with it.

Edit: BBW is also a great circuit to try with bass, not really a compressor, but it allows you to shape the lows and the highs in a very interesting way, not exactly how a preamp EQ would do it. Just like the Meridian, you don't know how much you miss it, until you've tried it.
Ah AionFx…… I have an Aion circuit on my workbench now and even though it is only my third build from them and one of the other was the blueshift which doesn’t have it, i am reminded why I don’t pay much attention to their projects. I just have a problem with those damn footswitch daughter boards. It’s one thing to be able to have a choice to use them like with PPCB and being required to use it because it contains necessary parts. That aside, I HAVE built the BBW and agree that it does nice things with the bass. Think it does do a little compressing as well.

Isn’t it just a biquad filter with pots to mix the LP and HP outputs?
I wish I could say that I knew that inherently, but since I don’t, a little googling seems to suggest you are correct. All I know is that it does seem to be able to add that high end snap/crispness that you typically get from a compressor.

. I just have a problem with those damn footswitch daughter boards.
May I ask what is the problem ?

I also built a few Aion's boards and never had any issues with their daughter boards. It's easy to solder them on a 3PDT, they're reliable, I'd say it probably make sense for the circuit to design these daughter boards like this, or Aion wouldn't bother. In my opinion these extra boards look good in an enclosure, but that's just a matter of taste.

Only downside i can see is if you need to change the 3PDT, but it never happened to me, so far.

Last edited:
I wish I could say that I knew that inherently, but since I don’t, a little googling seems to suggest you are correct. All I know is that it does seem to be able to add that high end snap/crispness that you typically get from a compressor.
I’d need to do some math to be sure, but I’d bet you’re hearing a boost in the ‘presence’ EQ area.

May I ask what is the problem ?

I also built a few Aion's boards and never had any issues with their daughter boards. It's easy to solder them on a 3PDT, they're reliable, I'd say it probably make sense for the circuit to design these daughter boards like this, or Aion wouldn't bother. In my opinion these extra boards look good in an enclosure, but that's just a matter of taste.

Only downside i can see is if you need to change the 3PDT, but it never happened to me, so far.
As I mentioned, I don’t like being forced to use it. Take the boards offered here at PPCB, the boards themselves contain all necessary parts and you can choose to use (which I often don’t) the 3pdt board or not, but either way, the circuit works independent of it. If for some reason you lose or damage the Aion daughterboard you’re kind of screwed.

I feel your pain with compression. I live and die by compressors but for the life of me I've yet to get a decent sound out of ANY variant of a Big Muff. If I hand the same pedal to anyone else they think it's the greatest. Even on my rig. I don't get it. Fuzz Faces and the like are no problem but Muff's. Nope.

Back