King of Scream (KoT style dual tube screamer)

steviejr92

Authorized Vendor
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Finished this up like an hour ago and have just been having so much fun with this thing. So as the title suggests this is a dual tube screamer setup like the KOT pedal. And man do I have to say @jimilee hit it out of the park with this one!

So let’s start off on why it took me way longer than usual to build. I have been waiting on parts that are a few oddballs like a 1uf mlcc. I say it’s doable with a regular film cap but you’re going to be stacking it on top on a resistor and since the body is little fat the film cap that’s next to it won’t fit right either. So totally recommend having the 1uf in the mlcc smaller format. 2nd this one I should have been on top of…I simply ran out of knobs 🤣 after my last fugly build it felt naked when I presented it you guys without knobs…not making that mistake again!

So for this build I was doing a bit of research while waiting and decided to mix up the diode situation and have some cool combos to play with. So for the soft clipping in d1 and d2 I used 1n4001’ 1n4001 and a 1n4148 asymmetric. For the hard clipping of d3 and d4 I used two 1n914’s.

For the 2nd side I used 2 1n4001’s for the soft clipping d5 and d6. Then for the hard clipping d7 and d8 I used two 1n4148’s and a 1n34a asymmetric.

As for the transistors I used Mpsa18’s for Q1 and Q3. And used 2n5088’s for Q2 and Q4. Then for the 1st side I used a 4558d dual opamp. And the 2nd a 833 dual opamp.

So as for the sound this thing has a lot of gain and is pretty much unusable using all the diode combos. But if you just let yourself tame it you get an awesome pedal. As for now I have the 1n914s in the first side being hard clipped. And I have the asymmetric side with the 1n4148’s and 1n34a. And dude it’s freaking awesome. You still have to tame it here meaning don’t crank both drives and volumes and “toan” knobs. You’re just gonna get some weird over distorted mess. I can’t stress enough though, how fun this pedal really is. Again I have been playing it for a little over an hour now and I can’t get enough of it! When tuned right the first side (which is the right) provides a hotter almost clearer overdrive. But when you add the 2nd side ( 1n4148, 1n34a asymmetric) you get a deeper growl that just fills the room with warmth. And ofcourse you can use each side individually and each side has a different tube screamer flavor! I’ve only been testing it on the orange solid state I can’t wait to hook it up to my strat and play through the fender blues junior!

5 out of 5 stars for me. Thing has become one of my favorites and I will be messing way more with it! @jimilee thanks for making a killer pedal dude!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Nice job, I'm glad you're enjoying it. Those are some fantastic diode combinations.
dude im loving it so far! just switched up to the strat and the blues jr and damn it sounds even better! Def single coils for this particular build! I cant wait to see how the rat comes out! You have to do a demo!

dude im loving it so far! just switched up to the strat and the blues jr and damn it sounds even better! Def single coils for this particular build! I cant wait to see how the rat comes out! You have to do a demo!
Waiting on the boards to come in, planning the build in my head.

Waiting on the boards to come in, planning the build in my head.
Thats going to be killer! Part of the fun for this build was figuring out which diode combos to use...if the rat youre making is anything similar thats going to be a fun build!

Back