Kliche weirdness

GEEEETARZAN

Hi all!
I built myself and 3 friends a kliche.
3 of us use them as low gain boosts and dig them.
4th friend wanted one for high gain, and pointed out that when pushed, the pedal gets gain-y, then
sort of bad sounding with high gain and high output.
Took it back and also tested the other 3 and they all do it.
Have rolled various diodes and tried LED as well. Pretty much the same.
Have an fx loop switcher(Hex) so its just guitar into pedal, into amp(tried it with/without hex)

Sounds as the 3 of us like it with low/no clipping and some boost. All 4 get intp putrid territory at high clipping/high outout.
Can't think of what i did to all 4 to make them sound that way.

Anything obvious i should look at?

Diodes and opamp chips are socketed. Parts are quality metal films and Wima caps, alpha pots.
I'm a good/solid solderer. Pedals all worked 100% otherwise at startup, no noise/hum otherwise,
Just when really pushed it moves beyond "clipping" into probably the bad kind of harmonics/dist

Any thoughts on where to startwould be great

Hi all!
I built myself and 3 friends a kliche.
3 of us use them as low gain boosts and dig them.
4th friend wanted one for high gain, and pointed out that when pushed, the pedal gets gain-y, then
sort of bad sounding with high gain and high output.
Took it back and also tested the other 3 and they all do it.
Have rolled various diodes and tried LED as well. Pretty much the same.
Have an fx loop switcher(Hex) so its just guitar into pedal, into amp(tried it with/without hex)

Sounds as the 3 of us like it with low/no clipping and some boost. All 4 get intp putrid territory at high clipping/high outout.
Can't think of what i did to all 4 to make them sound that way.

Anything obvious i should look at?

Diodes and opamp chips are socketed. Parts are quality metal films and Wima caps, alpha pots.
I'm a good/solid solderer. Pedals all worked 100% otherwise at startup, no noise/hum otherwise,
Just when really pushed it moves beyond "clipping" into probably the bad kind of harmonics/dist

Any thoughts on where to startwould be great
Pictures are worth a Thousand words!.
From where & what type of Gemanium diodes did you use?

Back