Klon/Kliche diodes

megatrav

I know there are tons of options for diodes that work well with this circuit. When I built my first Klone I ordered some of these 1N34A
I haven't seen people using them much so I assume they are different than the ones used in the real pedal.
Can anyone explain the difference? I know that these are not clear like the other ones I have seen.

The ones in the Klons were apparently unique in their forward voltage, which were 0.35 V (as opposed to 0.3V for a typical 1n34A). At least that's what I gathered from researching for my Klon build.

I ended up using diodes I already had (and what I think were 1n34As) rather than try to track down special diodes, but the replacement a lot of people use are germanium D9Es, which have similar forward voltage to the "magic" diodes.

I've used both 1N34A and D9E diodes. Between the two, I tend to favor the D9E's. Just seems to sound a bit smoother.

The part number is kinda pointless IMO. You really just need to try some out in the circuit and go with the ones you prefer. I have 1n34a diodes from 5 different sources from modern Chinese diodes, unizon, tfk, hitachi, ITT. I've also tried a bunch of the Russian D9 range, 1n60s from different manufacturers, 1n270. They all sound a bit different.

Don't get too hung up on trying to get diodes which measure at 0.35v either. The original measurements by soulsonic were taken with a dca55 which tests diodes at 5.0 mA. Most DMMs test at a much lower rating. The two I have test diodes at 0.5mA and 1.0mA which would provide a lower reading from his if I had tested the exact set he did.

I bought some D9Es from Bulgaria for a different project, but since I had some left over I built a Kliche. Sounds great.

Back