Korkie Preamp (x2)— More Star Wars Pedals

Bricksnbeatles

Member known well
Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Some of you may know about this pair here.
These two pedals are a long time off from when I hoped to be sharing them— I built the pink one this Monday and the blue one last night. I was hoping to have these completed for May the Fourth of 2021, but my dumb pseudo-perfectionist mind kept going back and slightly tweaking the graphics every other week between summer of 2020 when I had the idea, and November of 2021 when I finally placed my first order of UV prints from Tayda. A heavy semester of classes kept me from taking a crack at these until late may— I was hoping to build them in time for May the Fourth of this year or for the 45th anniversary of A New Hope, but I realized I forgot to order the pots, so now we’re finally here in the present. As such, I present these to you on perhaps the most fitting date— I’ve been eagerly waiting since Monday to share these today for the…

FINALE OF THE OBI WAN KENOBI SERIES!

That’s right folks, on this very day in which we will learn the outcome of Obi Wan’s 9BBY adventures, you’ll also learn a bit about the obscure fan theory that birthed the concept for these pedals.

For those of you who keep up to date with the animated side of Star Wars content, you’ll hopefully already get where this is going, but for those of you who don’t— there are spoilers ahead of you intend on watching the 2008 Clone Wars animated series in the future.

Korkie Kryze is the nephew of Satine Kryze, Dutchess of Mandalore, whom he lives with. His aunt Satine just so happens to have been in a brief forbidden love affair with a young Obi Wan Kenobi prior to his knighthood. The dutchess has no known siblings other than her young sister, Bo-Katan Kryze, who is also Korkie’s aunt. Hmm… no established parents or even a mention of them, and he lives as nobility with his aunt who many years ago had a secret affair with a member of Mandalore’s sworn enemies; the Jedi? And he happens to look quite a bit like a cross between his aunt and her former lover?

Yeah, so Korkie looks a bit like Obi Wan and Satine, and it’s been speculated to death that Korkie is the secret bastard child of the two, with him being guised as Satine’s nephew to avoid the political fallout of the Mandalorian Duchess having an illegitimate child with a member of a rival cult. It’s a fun fan theory about one of the most minor characters in the series’ run, but it probably doesn’t hold much water. Nonetheless, when I first learned of the Benson Preamp pedal, despite having little interest in yet another JFET amp-in-a-box circuit, I immediately felt a compulsion to build a clone of it called the “Korkie Preamp”. Why? This was my train of thought: Benson -> Ben’s Son -> Ben Kenobi = Obi Wan Kenobi -> Obi Wan’s (speculated) son = Korkie.

I’ve always liked word association chains- sue me!

Anyway, here are the Korkie Preamps!

The blue one (dubbed the “Bo-Katan Blue” edition) is built to the specs of the initial run of the benson preamp, with the addition of a selectable charge pump to offer both 9v and headroom-boosted 18v operations. The pedal features a similar powder blue coloring to my favorite-looking version of the benson preamp which first caught my eye back in 2020.

The pink one (dubbed the “Beskar Blush” edition), in addition to featuring the same selectable charge pump “headroom” switch, also omits the 10μF capacitors from the sources of Q2 and Q3 to ground for a significantly cleaner gain range, and a few slightly tweaked cap values to make it more suitable for bass. The shell pink coloring is inspired by the very popular limited edition version of the Benson Preamp that you used to see in nearly every Instagram-aesthetic pedalboard picture, and it was chosen because I absolutely love shell pink and would love to build a shell pink Marauder-styled Bass VI one day!

No demo for these unfortunately— I planned on recording an instrumental cover of the Kenobi theme, but I’m too busy with the end of my summer semester to record anything this week.

Hope y’all enjoyed, and may the Force be with you!

Thanks! I’ll try to get a demo done this weekend to highlight the differences between the versions with and without c5 and c10 for those who are debating which way to go

I didn't read it all, because... thanks for the spoiler alert!

I've got a couple SW-themed builds to execute, but they're pretty low in the build queue at the moment — so your SW builds are not only great-looking, but also inordinately inspirational. You could say they're real Korkiers!

1656031094257.jpeg

I didn't read it all, because... thanks for the spoiler alert!

I've got a couple SW-themed builds to execute, but they're pretty low in the build queue at the moment — so your SW builds are not only great-looking, but also inordinately inspirational. You could say they're real Korkiers!

View attachment 27724
If you've seen all of Season Two of Clone Wars, then there are no spoilers. I put a spoiler warning out of an abundance of caution, but really it's such a light spoiler that it might be overkill– If you've seen the first episode or two that Satine appears in (S2E12 and S2E13) and you've seen the first one that Korkie is in (S3E6), then you know all you need to know and the rest is just absurd groundless fan speculation. I'd love to hear about your planned Star Wars builds! Glad these SW builds inspire some thoughts– Thanks!

If you've seen all of Season Two of Clone Wars, then there are no spoilers. I put a spoiler warning out of an abundance of caution, but really it's such a light spoiler that it might be overkill– If you've seen the first episode or two that Satine appears in (S2E12 and S2E13) and you've seen the first one that Korkie is in (S3E6), then you know all you need to know and the rest is just absurd groundless fan speculation. I'd love to hear about your planned Star Wars builds! Glad these SW builds inspire some thoughts– Thanks!
I haven't even seen season one yet, so ... spoiler alert truly appreciated.

Binged the clone wars over a month or so last year… didn’t regret it.
I first binged the series just before season 7 came out.

The first Star Wars film I saw in theaters was the Clone Wars movie, which served as a pilot for the show, and I was so psyched to have a Star Wars show to watch on TV when season one came out. I watched the first three or four episodes of season one when they came out, but then either my Jiu Jitsu classes or Cub Scouts meetings changed day and started interfering with the time the episodes aired. I started DVRing the episodes, but my sister at the time had every episode of Jersey Shore, Project Runway, Girl Code, every ABC Family Drama, every Friends rerun, etc. set to record, so the DVR was constantly filling up and of course she always picked my one episode per week as the thing to erase first to free up space lol. After missing all of season one and most of season two, I gave up on watching the show since it was way too serialized and didn’t have a way to watch the numerous episodes I missed. For years there was no way to watch the show in order if you weren’t watching weekly— this was all before streaming, and even before On Demand was really much of a thing. There were eventually DVD releases, but DVD show sets were crazy expensive back then. Wasn’t until D+ came along that I got to watch it all, and man did I binge that show and Rebels fast! For a while every night when I got home from classes my dad and I would watch two or three full story arcs (6-8 episodes).

The one benefit to missing 7 years worth of content is having 7 years of content to binge at a later date!

I first binged the series just before season 7 came out.

The first Star Wars film I saw in theaters was the Clone Wars movie, which served as a pilot for the show, and I was so psyched to have a Star Wars show to watch on TV when season one came out. I watched the first three or four episodes of season one when they came out, but then either my Jiu Jitsu classes or Cub Scouts meetings changed day and started interfering with the time the episodes aired. I started DVRing the episodes, but my sister at the time had every episode of Jersey Shore, Project Runway, Girl Code, every ABC Family Drama, every Friends rerun, etc. set to record, so the DVR was constantly filling up and of course she always picked my one episode per week as the thing to erase first to free up space lol. After missing all of season one and most of season two, I gave up on watching the show since it was way too serialized and didn’t have a way to watch the numerous episodes I missed. For years there was no way to watch the show in order if you weren’t watching weekly— this was all before streaming, and even before On Demand was really much of a thing. There were eventually DVD releases, but DVD show sets were crazy expensive back then. Wasn’t until D+ came along that I got to watch it all, and man did I binge that show and Rebels fast! For a while every night when I got home from classes my dad and I would watch two or three full story arcs (6-8 episodes).

The one benefit to missing 7 years worth of content is having 7 years of content to binge at a later date!
Exactly I had all 7 seasons to binge. Honestly for a kid show I really enjoyed it. Even Rebels which was even more so a kid show I thought the story was so good it didn’t matter at all

Exactly I had all 7 seasons to binge. Honestly for a kid show I really enjoyed it. Even Rebels which was even more so a kid show I thought the story was so good it didn’t matter at all
interesting that you feel rebels was more of a kids show than clone wars. it definitely started on even more of a kids show note than clone wars did, but even just halfway into S1 it gets a lot heavier than clone wars. definitely more war crimes per episode (thanks chopper), and they don't skirt around the more serious themes of grief and trauma as much as clone wars does. the focus on Ezra and Sabine's youth and Zeb's comic relief definitely make it seem a bit goofy, but there's plenty more to punch you right in the gut when watching rebels. OOF some of that stuff gets you in the feels HARD.

interesting that you feel rebels was more of a kids show than clone wars. it definitely started on even more of a kids show note than clone wars did, but even just halfway into S1 it gets a lot heavier than clone wars. definitely more war crimes per episode (thanks chopper), and they don't skirt around the more serious themes of grief and trauma as much as clone wars does. the focus on Ezra and Sabine's youth and Zeb's comic relief definitely make it seem a bit goofy, but there's plenty more to punch you right in the gut when watching rebels. OOF some of that stuff gets you in the feels HARD.
They both certainly touch on dark themes and the empire is pretty terrible in rebels. I guess they’re really very similar I think CW got darker as it went on and rebels went the other way maybe. Either way both were excellent. The Vader and Ashoka scene was excellent

They both certainly touch on dark themes and the empire is pretty terrible in rebels. I guess they’re really very similar I think CW got darker as it went on and rebels went the other way maybe. Either way both were excellent. The Vader and Ashoka scene was excellent
Yeah, I think the darkest aspects of Clone Wars are from how they humanize the clones and show their tragedy, as well as the way they display the failings of the Jedi due to their hubris. The darkest aspects of Rebels come in seeing the everyday life under the empire and how civilians are impacted. While Clone Wars is darkest in its portayal of the failures of heroes; stuff like the duel of the fates, Rebels is darkest in the way Innocents become victims; stuff like the destruction of Alderaan.

Yeah, I think the darkest aspects of Clone Wars are from how they humanize the clones and show their tragedy, as well as the way they display the failings of the Jedi due to their hubris. The darkest aspects of Rebels come in seeing the everyday life under the empire and how civilians are impacted. While Clone Wars is darkest in its portayal of the failures of heroes; stuff like the duel of the fates, Rebels is darkest in the way Innocents become victims; stuff like the destruction of Alderaan.
Very good points here sir I agree

Back