L5 Preamp

JamieJ

I haven't had much time for building recently so this one has taken me a few months to get done. I was meticulous about measuring every part when I was populating this board as I really didn't want to have to troubleshoot this one. Luckily it worked first time. It sounds awesome. I am using it as the last drive in my chain at the moment and it has really brought my amp to life with a sound that I prefer. I also have a power amp project waiting to go which this will be the preamp for. Stay tuned. Thanks to @jeffwhitfield for help with the UV print!

IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

Here’s a quick and dirty sample with some random noodling. I am loving channel 1. It feels really touch sensitive. Channel 2 has plenty of gain and the whole unit has loads of headroom and can put out crazy volume.
I’m playing a strat - looper - L5 - HOF into a 7w bass breaker.

Last edited:
Nice! What were those weird sounds you can hear at some point in the demo?
That’s the compressor part the circuit hitting its limit. The limiter knob sets the needs to be used to try and find the right threshold.

That’s the compressor part the circuit hitting its limit. The limiter knob sets the needs to be used to try and find the right threshold.
Are you sure that's supposed to happen? I have an actual L5 as well as one of these pedals that was built by Aion Electronics and neither have that popping sound in the compressor regardless of where it is set

Are you sure that's supposed to happen? I have an actual L5 as well as one of these pedals that was built by Aion Electronics and neither have that popping sound in the compressor regardless of where it is set
I think I may need to mess about with the distortion and compressor trimmers a bit more but I’m not too concerned as it sounds awesome.

Jamie I had similar noises on both my builds. It ended up being a power supply issue. I've been using a Yamaha 12vac supply and it straightened it out. I'll dig thru my notes to see why that might be.

Both channels are capable of more drive and my builds are really close to to my real Lab Series L5. To be honest though, I really like the clean sounds of yours and one of the calling cards of the real amp are the stellar cleans and edge of breakup/compressed sounds.

Jamie I had similar noises on both my builds. It ended up being a power supply issue. I've been using a Yamaha 12vac supply and it straightened it out. I'll dig thru my notes to see why that might be.

Both channels are capable of more drive and my builds are really close to to my real Lab Series L5. To be honest though, I really like the clean sounds of yours and one of the calling cards of the real amp are the stellar cleans and edge of breakup/compressed sounds.
Thanks @Gordo
I will have a look into that power supply.

Back