Lamp (or Helping hands + lamp combo)

boji

The lighting in my home doesn’t quite cut it for pedal building. Unwanted shadows makes it nearly impossible to solder at night.
Any recommendation?

Last edited:
I use the same type here. You may want to notice the switch / adjustment control placement. The model I use has touch controls located where you would naturally reach to grab it. I am constantly having to readjust the intensity and white/natural balance controls.

Bigger isn't necessarily better. It's handy to nudge it a few inches to have access to your work. If the shroud is too large, that can become cumbersome. Envision it in your workspace before deciding.

Also, as with any lighting, check the lumen rating and make sure it's the right color light for your eyes.

I've got an LED ring magnifier lamp very similar to Mr PedalPCB's.

The downside of mine is: the magnification isn't quite right so I have to have the lens so close it's difficult to get a soldering iron in to do the work. It's a bit better since I upgraded to a better soldering-pencil that's a bit smaller than my old one. Something to consider for when you're shopping for one, though.

Back