Laughable Lyrics

Feral Feline

While watching some gear vids, up popped Bruno Mars' latest music vide... advert, and one of the ooh-baby-yeah lyrics was:

"...you smell better than barbeque..." 😹

That sounds more like something from Flight of the Conchords. 😸

So what lyric(s) have you come across that you thought was/were laughable?

JamieJ

I absolutely love FOTC. So many hilarious songs. Business Time is a personal favourite of mine.

Even though this song is designed to be funny and not just an awful set of words that a pop star has tried to rhyme.

Stickman393

Like, so much dethklok.

Dethsupport...a song about a man who is maimed in a car crash with an eighteen wheeler. It explores the horror, the distress, the brutal pain he endures in the aftermath...when the hospital presents him with his medical bill.

HamishR

Some Girls Will by Racey makes me want to throw up every time I hear it. I'm not particularly PC but the misogany in that song is even offensive to ME!

Fwiw pretty much every Bruno Mars song I've heard has cringey lyrics. He's very talented but I wish he would stop trying to sound like Michael Jackson.

Feral Feline

Another laughable lyric (actually the whole song is insipid) is "Mud On the Tires" by Brad Paisley.

The subtext of the lyrics suggest that it's a good idea to be an indentured slave to the bank from borrowing money for a new truck — just so he can get "mud on the tires" with his gal.

I'd never heard of Paisley and suddenly he was in all the guitar mags so I checked out a song of his, it was that debt-promoting song. Haven't listened to him since.

At least the Mars "barbeque" lyric made me laugh, Paisley's lyrics just made me wanna puke.
I'll not bother to check out Racey.

Cucurbitam0schata

@Feral Feline, ticks were really bad here in Wisconsin in May/June. Brad Paisley's "Ticks" definitely came to mind on all our camping trips earlier this year.

On another note, Beck's "Debra" will always make me chuckle.

Feral Feline

Pretty much anything on top 40 radio honestly

That's ssso-ohhh true true true it's really true
You knowww it's true true true it's really true

They (true)
Just (true)
Repeat (true)
A
Banal (true)
Lyric (true)
Lyric (true)

Makes meeee Bluuue it's true true true it's really true
(AUTOTUNE)
Makes me go "Ewww" it's true true true it's really true

Mindless (true)
Numbing (true)
Repetition (true)
Of
Bad (true)
Lyrics (true)
Lyrics (true)

(Makes me go bat-shit crazy)

They really do it's true true true it's really true
It's doo-doo it's true true true it's really true

True that

Wow, I just wrote a pop song. It's called "True That"

Do you think there's enough "true"s in it? Might need some more to be truly successful...

Bricksnbeatles

From the same mind that brought you Pet Sounds, SMiLE, and more, comes ‘I Wanna Pick You Up’...
Pat pat pat pat pat her on her butt butt
She's going to sleep be quiet
Pat pat pat pat pat her on her butt
She's going to sleep
Little baby go to sleep
Jesus Christ, Brian… (I love ‘Love You’, but the lyrics can be a bit off, such as the great love song, ‘The Night Was So Young’, which inexplicably has a line about drinking a glass of milk at his sink)

Feral Feline

@Feral Feline, ticks were really bad here in Wisconsin in May/June. Brad Paisley's "Ticks" definitely came to mind on all our camping trips earlier this year.

On another note, Beck's "Debra" will always make me chuckle.

I'll take your word for it on Paisley, 'cause the gag-reflex is already kickin' in. Oh alright, I had to listen to one verse. The experience no better no worse than the first, but it confirms what I suspected all along.

I had a quick slooshy of Beck, though, funny 'cause it's played straight up even though it's funny.

Glass Animals Season 2 Episode 3

Leftover breakfast, cereal for lunch
She is broken, but she's fun
My girl eats mayonnaise
From a jar when she's gettin' blazed

Reminded me of the Flaming Lips' "She Don't Use Jelly".

I know a girl who thinks of ghosts,
She'll make you breakfast, she'll make you toast.
But she don't use butter.
And she don't use cheese.
She don't use jelly, or any of these.
She uses Vaseline
Vaseline
Vaseline

Bricksnbeatles

Reminded me of the Flaming Lips' "She Don't Use Jelly".

I know a girl who thinks of ghosts,
She'll make you breakfast, she'll make you toast.
But she don't use butter.
And she don't use cheese.
She don't use jelly, or any of these.
She uses Vaseline
Vaseline
Vaseline
my immediate thought too when I saw that

Barry

Another laughable lyric (actually the whole song is insipid) is "Mud On the Tires" by Brad Paisley.

The subtext of the lyrics suggest that it's a good idea to be an indentured slave to the bank from borrowing money for a new truck — just so he can get "mud on the tires" with his gal.

I'd never heard of Paisley and suddenly he was in all the guitar mags so I checked out a song of his, it was that debt-promoting song. Haven't listened to him since.

At least the Mars "barbeque" lyric made me laugh, Paisley's lyrics just made me wanna puke.
I'll not bother to check out Racey.
I don't get into his songs so much, but that dude rips on guitar

bitzie

I'll go in a very different direction and say pretty much anything from the goregrind and gore metal sub-genres. Yes, the themes being explored are typically anything but laughable, and I'll admit that I love listening to bands like Carcass, Exhumed, and Cattle Decapitation, but when you read the lyrics it all just becomes way too over the top. Here's Incarnated Solvent Abuse by Carcass, probably my favourite song of theirs:

"If visible identification is not possible,
The pathologist may be able to take
Fingerprints from the body until decay sets in...
Things become more complicated"

Intenacious, intersecting
Reaving fats from corporal griskin
Culled... for sodden gelatine brayed
Skeletal groats triturated, desinently
Exsiccated, sere glutenate brewed
For frivolous solvent abuse...

Derogate coarse remains
For glue to dry
Despoiled marrow razed

...a truculent shambles so severe...

Extravated bone - as adhesive incarnate