Learning resources

schnerf

As a "cultured novice" but willing learner, can anyone recommend any resources for understanding electronics of acoustic signal processing?

I can build with a PCB ("solder by numbers"), but I'd be interested in a book or site that explains how each component affects the sound. More than just "these diodes clip harder than those diodes," I'd like simple explanations for the buzzwords, abbreviations, why certain parts are used or for what they're used, etc, basically like a "Pedal Building for Dummies."

I figure the only real way to become better and maybe try my own circuits is to fully understand what I'm doing instead of just throwing random stuff on a breadboard to see what sticks.

Thanks in advance!

Yep, I'm in the same boat, alway trying to get a better understandin and a resource like your describing would be great.

R.G. Keen is another one of the foundational guys - geofex.com has tons of great info. His book "PCB Layout For Musical Effects" is great for learning layout. I think Steve Daniels at Small Bear still stocks the book.

Also, thinking of Steve his Breadboarding series in the "How To" section a Small Bear provides a lot of detailed understanding.

If you haven't already, search for Beavis Audio Research -- site disappeared for a while, seems to be back up. Lots of good intro to classic circuits done in a way that even someone like me can possibly understand them. :LOL:

The Coda Effects site has several nice articles. They should be a bit easier to digest than the electrosmash ones. Some of his articles breakdown a pedal circuit, some talk about how each component works, and some give advice about build technique.

My brother in law has recently taken up electronics as a hobby (modular synthesis though- not pedals). I recommended a few books to him and this one was far and away his favorite and the one he found most useful: https://www.amazon.com/Make-Electronics-Discovery-Charles-Platt/dp/0596153740

The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill is considered to be the electronics bible by many, but it might not be a great resource if you're just starting out. Stash the title away in the back of your mind and check it out once you get some experience under your belt.

Back