Lectric-FX DC-Echo (EHX Echo 600)

benny_profane

Another brilliant project from the folks at Lectric. This is a (rather obscure) EHX analogue delay that builds upon the DMM foundation by adding another MN3005 BBD block. I've always thought of the DMM as the analogue delay—but this may surpass it. It's got everything the DMM offers (solid clock filtering, warm repeats, surprisingly usable overdrive/overload, runaway oscillation, beautiful modulation, blend control), but expands the control set and available delay time. And this box is still smaller than the big box DMM.

The calibration procedure is rather straightforward. As with any BBD delay or modulation circuit, there is a bit of back and forth to find the right balance, but it can be dialed in pretty quickly. The GAIN trims have some flexibility—allowing the FEEDBACK control to be tuned to a degree. I only have two hands, so I find it helpful to solder in short leads for alligator clips during calibration.

Analogue delays may be my favorite category of pedal builds. There are many projects out there—each with unique offerings. But, if you're looking to jump the queue and build something that has close to everything, this may be what you're looking for.

Check it.

Thank you @fig for the DIP 4 sockets!

Last edited:
I like it, it looks splendid very professional

I'm in the process of building one to go in a rack unit, never done a rack unit and now he's flung in that he wants IEC connections to power it via his power conditioner

Second time I've said yes when I shoulda said no! mind you the first time her Dad did have a shotgun

Yes indeed, I also noticed that. PPCB rocks! The temptation is irresistible, I'm afraid.

I built the same Echo DC delay two or three weeks ago.

I am disappointed with it, Echo 600 means 600ms, Lectric fx managed to push it up to 700ms. It remains a very short delay with an other 100 ms...less than one second. I didn't realize that when i ordered the kit, so that's on me.

Modulation isn't really interesting in my opinion so far. Nothing subtle, it sounds like a basic pitch shifting effect, close to vibrato. If i want to modulate the repeats i would use something else, a CE-2 clone for exemple. I don't think the modulation circuit was a big concern when they designed this delay. It feels more like an extra feature, not very elaborate and quickly done.

I have 2 second-hand delays, they cost less than half the DC Echo's price (150 euros full kit), they can do more tricks and they sound just as good, in my opinion (Vox Time Machine, Ibanez DE-7). I guess this is for aficionados and people collecting vintage effects for fun.

I wonder how could i add a Dry Out on this build ?

I built the same Echo DC delay two or three weeks ago.

I am disappointed with it, Echo 600 means 600ms, Lectric fx managed to push it up to 700ms. It remains a very short delay with an other 100 ms...less than one second. I didn't realize that when i ordered the kit, so that's on me.

Modulation isn't really interesting in my opinion so far. Nothing subtle, it sounds like a basic pitch shifting effect, close to vibrato. If i want to modulate the repeats i would use something else, a CE-2 clone for exemple. I don't think the modulation circuit was a big concern when they designed this delay. It feels more like an extra feature, not very elaborate and quickly done.

I have 2 second-hand delays, they cost less than half the DC Echo's price (150 euros full kit), they can do more tricks and they sound just as good, in my opinion (Vox Time Machine, Ibanez DE-7). I guess this is for aficionados and people collecting vintage effects for fun.

I wonder how could i add a Dry Out on this build ?
Sorry you didn't dig it! Both those delays you mention as preferring are digital, maybe analogue delays aren't your thing?

We didn't push it to 700mS, at 10kHz clock frequency as in the build doc it will produce 614mS thereabouts.

For adding the dry out, 4u7 positive to IC1 Pin 1, negative to 47k to ground and series 220R resistor to output.

Sorry you didn't dig it! Both those delays you mention as preferring are digital, maybe analogue delays aren't your thing?

We didn't push it to 700mS, at 10kHz clock frequency as in the build doc it will produce 614mS thereabouts.

For adding the dry out, 4u7 positive to IC1 Pin 1, negative to 47k to ground and series 220R resistor to output.
Thank you very much Scruffie.

Maybe they're not my thing, or maybe i need some time to adjust. Be that as it may, the DC Echo is on my board, I am still exploring its possibilities...

I wrote a poor review on musikding. The next day I asked Klaus to delete it and just leave the 5 stars, he agreed but he published it anyway (probably some other things on his mind...). If the review isn't fair in your opinion, just tell me and I will insist with Klaus to delete it. I am afraid a "bad" review gives the wrong impression on this circuit and stops people from building it... As I told Klaus, I wrote the review too fast and too tired, I understand my mistake, it won't happen again.

Here it is :

I always love your effects, especially the Flintlock and the Dandy Horse ! May your hands remain always steady, May the Iron remains always hot in your hand !

Now I really want to build one! How do input and output knobs work? Is it basically gain into the BBD and output volume? How do they interact with each other?
Input is set to the point before the BBD's clip for the best S/N ratio (or to make it a bit dirty if you prefer) and then output to match your bypass level.

Thank you very much Scruffie.

Maybe they're not my thing, or maybe i need some time to adjust. Be that as it may, the DC Echo is on my board, I am still exploring its possibilities...

I wrote a poor review on musikding. The next day I asked Klaus to delete it and just leave the 5 stars, he agreed but he published it anyway (probably some other things on his mind...). If the review isn't fair in your opinion, just tell me and I will insist with Klaus to delete it. I am afraid a "bad" review gives the wrong impression on this circuit and stops people from building it... As I told Klaus, I wrote the review too fast and too tired, I understand my mistake, it won't happen again.

Here it is :

I always love your effects, especially the Flintlock and the Dandy Horse ! May your hands remain always steady, May the Iron remains always hot in your hand !
Haha, no worries, not every effect is for every person! Your review is what you felt and a negative review or two is no bad thing if they're justified and make people think twice before building something they're going to struggle to feel was worth the investment!

The DC Echo, yeah, it does have the aficianado aspect as you say, but also is just that refined step above the DM-2 or DMM that makes it a very satisfying delay pedal IMO. Like a pedal version of an 80s analogue rack delay or darker version of early digital, it's something a little different to the usual fare.

Haha, no worries, not every effect is for every person! Your review is what you felt and a negative review or two is no bad thing if they're justified and make people think twice before building something they're going to struggle to feel was worth the investment!
Good, that's a relief. It was really fun to build, and a great learning experience ( i never tried BBD delays before).

I must admit I like to see the awe and wonder in my friends eyes, when I say proudly : "Memory Man ? sure, I just built one recently..." This kind of satisfaction won't last very long though. On the other hand, the Echo DC will stay with me for ever, I hope.

Thanks again for your amazing circuits. My musical wanderings wouldn't be the same without your help.

The circumstances of my original Countdown order were quite weird. I ordered this and two Bloodstones from them in May 2020. Delivery was delayed due to lockdown and Keefe sent the order as soon as shipping opened up to us in ZA (around September 2020, South Africa).

A long time passed and the boards never arrived. I suspect that they were lost in transit somewhere. After a long wait and nothing happening, I wrote back to Lectric-fx and Keefe replaced all the boards without question.

I added an Abacus to my original order and this time they did duly appear. So, fantastic service and 'amazing circuits,' as you rightly say, Justin. [This post might well belong better in the Shipping Delays thread but I believe that's closed]. The point is not the delay in shipping which appears to be a world-wide problem but Keefe's good will and decency in replacing them.

Thanks everyone for the positive reception!

Fantastic build! I remember when I built mine immediately after it came out. What a revelation. It makes the DMM sound like a DM-2. On my next board I wanna run both the DC echo and the DMM. Love how clean it turned out inside, and those brutalist knobs 💅
Definitely. I know that I'm rather particular when it comes to analogue delays, so I see benefits to both. I've had the same thought of including each in a signal chain. They do have a lot of overlap, but they still have distinct characteristics.

This report was on hold until the knobs were restocked!

The DC Echo, yeah, it does have the aficianado aspect as you say, but also is just that refined step above the DM-2 or DMM that makes it a very satisfying delay pedal IMO. Like a pedal version of an 80s analogue rack delay or darker version of early digital, it's something a little different to the usual fare.
I'd agree with that appraisal. If someone is looking for a massive distinction between this and the DMM, they might be disappointed; however, if they're in deep with BBD delays, this is a very rewarding project.

Great build for a very satisfying pedal. I am really happy with the DC Echo and Flintlock that I built this month. Looks like I need to check out the Countdown....
Thanks! Glad to hear you're digging both projects!

Back