Lectric FX SH3 (EHX Small Stone)

blackhatboojum

I think @fig has me beat with classic EHX circuit builds today but, here’s my submission. The Lectric FX SH3. Some of you keen eye folks may have noticed my comment on @jjjimi84 awesome demo post, on how I could never make the Small Stone work for me. Well, thanks to that video and my recent chats with @thewintersoldier, I decided to give this classic phaser another try. I was so wrong with my statement. Lectric FX knocked it out of the park with this circuit design. I dunno how all you pcb designers are doing it but, keep up the great work. This is the second EHX style build I’ve done that captures the classic sound but, doesn’t add the typical EHX noise. That’s always been my biggest beef with EHX. The effects sound killer… until you put them in front of a high distortion amp. That has not been the case with the last 2 diy EHX circuits I’ve built.

I’m really relieved that I like this phaser so much because this build totally kicked my ass. I ordered the wrong parts, didn’t order parts I needed, and I could not get my water slide to apply right. It took me 8 tries to get something that looked halfway decent aesthetically. On top of that, I put the wrong value resistors in 3 places when I populated the board. Fortunately I caught it early and corrected the issue before I powered it up. My last 2 builds went so great that I guess it was time for me to make a bunch of mistakes.

Despite all of my incompetence, it came out pretty well and sounds even better. I have to give @Harry Klippton a special thanks and shout-out on this one as well. Will, took it upon himself to design me a logo for my builds and I’m going to proudly display it from here on out 😁.

BFC3E3F0-63A2-4928-853A-4DEAF5FEFD77.jpeg 4A59A8BD-B858-46A2-9BD7-102DF7A70DBD.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks incredible!

Can anyone who has built the SH1.2 the SH2 and the SH3 say if the differences are worth building all three (I mean, I’m going to anyway because I’m a bit too into phasers, but…)?
There's a bigger difference between 2 & 3 than there is between 1 & 2.

3 is a fairly different circuit, different all pass filter frequency, input & output section and LFO. Closest to the current nano small stone in design.

2 has a slightly different LFO shape to 1 and a slightly improved input stage... but that's really about it.

There's a bigger difference between 2 & 3 than there is between 1 & 2.

3 is a fairly different circuit, different all pass filter frequency, input & output section and LFO. Closest to the current nano small stone in design.

2 has a slightly different LFO shape to 1 and a slightly improved input stage... but that's really about it.
V3 and V4 were the same circuit, just with V4 having a status LED and different rate indicator placement (as well as tue bypass on the last few years of V4 production) right? Any idea about which version circuits the green box and black box Russian small stone were based around?

V3 and V4 were the same circuit, just with V4 having a status LED and different rate indicator placement (as well as tue bypass on the last few years of V4 production) right? Any idea about which version circuits the green box and black box Russian small stone were based around?
This is going to get confusing haha, I was talking about the Lectric variants, when it comes to EHX, V4 was the same as V2, so the SH2 and V3 is similar to the nano, so the SH3.
The Green Russian (and I'll assume the Black Russian as well, never actually looked inside one) was based on the V2 with a tiny tweak.

This is going to get confusing haha, I was talking about the Lectric variants, when it comes to EHX, V4 was the same as V2, so the SH2 and V3 is similar to the nano, so the SH3.
The Green Russian (and I'll assume the Black Russian as well, never actually looked inside one) was based on the V2 with a tiny tweak.
Ah yeah I was talking about the lectric variants in my comments before that one, and then suddenly switched to talking about EHX so I guess that hot things confusing quick. So if I understand correctly:

• Space Harp 1.2: Small Stone v1
  • Space Harp 2: Small Stone v2; Green Russian (tweaked); Black Russian (likely); v4
  • Space Harp 3: Small Stone v3; nano (tweaked)

Back