Let's talk about wah pedals

Robert

Reverse Engineer
If you were going to build a wah pedal that has a secondary function/footswitch (like the old Shin-Ei Fuzz Wah, for example) but using a standard Crybaby style enclosure how would you prefer to handle the secondary footswitch?

Here's a few ideas so far...

Kick switch on the side or back of the pedal
This would be a momentary footswitch or arcade style switch mounted into the side of the enclosure housing that could be kicked with the side of your foot to toggle the secondary effect. The drawback here is that there could be issues on a tight/crowded pedalboard.

Footswitch jack for connecting an separate external footswitch
This would allow you to connect an external footswitch or other type of effect controllers to toggle the secondary effect. The secondary effect could default to "ON" when no footswitch is connected.

Multi-Function primary footswitch
This would use the standard wah "toe-down" footswitch to control the secondary effect so extra switches/jacks would be required. From bypass click once for wah, click again for wah + secondary effect, click again to return to bypass. (or similar functionality)

What if you were to use the switch in the base for the secondary effect(toe down).. and a momentary on the treadle for the wah. You would only need the wah on when your foot was on the treadle anyway right? Seems like an interesting possibility or am I just a little crazy?

Paradox916, you mean like the Dunlop 105Q Bass wah, or the Morley Bad Horsie where the wah instantly engages when you put your foot on it, right? I really like your idea.

Different ways to implement that:
— proximity copper-conductivity thingy, like those vexing probes...
— LDR that when completely dark flips a relay-switch,
— pressure-sensitive foil (how I imagine the Dunlop 105Q works
...and of course a regular 3PDT or 2PDT & Relay for the toe-down.

LDR would probably be the easiest to source parts for and implement (not so great for cowboy boots or other footwear with a heel, as that'd potentially let light in when you're trying to stomp down. Pressure sensors aren't as easy to source (unless you want to pay through the nose for SparkFun).

From the OP:
Kick switch on the side or back of the pedal 🉑
Footswitch jack for connecting an separate external footswitch
✅
Multi-Function primary footswitch 🚫🈲

Re External Footswitch: I'd want the secondary effect default switchable between "ON" or "OFF" when no footswitch is connected, though of course it makes most sense to have it default to "ON".

My vote is for external foot switch as well.

But maybe more of an issue is where in the world are you going to find an enclosure? I’ve been looking for a while so I could build a wah, but no dice. Best I’ve found is $40ish for a used (probably broken, but nbd) Crybaby on Ebay.

I believe they're referring to the PCB mounting holes inside the enclosure.

I built one of these a couple years ago, mine came from Smallbear but I believe it was the same part. The included screws weren't the correct size, so that was a bit of a struggle, but otherwise it went together without any issues.

Salvaging a used Crybaby enclosure would probably be the easiest way to go but these are completely usable and a direct fit for the wah PCBs here.

Back