lighting effects for delay "heads"?

Cucurbitam0schata

Found this neat video of someone's Sagan Delay build. The dry signal and three "tape heads" are connected to their own LED, and the LED's brightness reacts to the volume of each delay.

Sounds like the creator of this particular Sagan Delay has a special sauce recipe that they intend on keeping secret (hasn't responded to these asks on YouTube or Reddit). Totally cool.

Does anyone here have any ideas of how you would approach reverse engineering an a/v effect like that? This doesn't have to be limited to the Sagan Delay design. Just curious if anyone could shed some light on this.

With how big that enclosure is I’m imagining there’s a daughter board in there with some 74Hxxx counters or something like that. It is not an easy task for sure.

I'm not sure how it interfaces with the PT2399 (or is envelope controlled), but it'd be fairly easy to do with an AVR microcontroller (or Arduino).

I do wonder if you could set it up with a TIP31 transistor (commonly used in sound to light circuits) connected to the output of each PT2399...I have some breadboarding to do this weekend I guess!

Back