LM308N - Any Non-Rat Pedals Use It?

PangeaDestructor

I ordered a few 308s from Banzai because I needed one for a VFE Alpha Dog, figured I may as well grab multiples. I'm aware the OP07 gives the same sound, I did it for the mojo.

I'm looking around and curious if any pedals other than the Rat are known for using this specific chip? I'm not seeing anything other than possibly a JHS Angry Charlie v2, though the pcb here uses 072 and 833. I guess I could drop it in place of the 833, right? Any other options?

The GGG MXR headphone amp uses a TL071 that you could sub with the LM308 not sure how it would sound though.

Your best best is a Rat-inspired circuit (or finding another design from before the late 80s or so). That chip has been OOP for quite some time, so I doubt any new design would spec it.

Your best best is a Rat-inspired circuit (or finding another design from before the late 80s or so). That chip has been OOP for quite some time, so I doubt any new design would spec it.

I'm surprised that there aren't new circuits designed around the OP07 though. Still available, and just as "good" as LM308 (or maybe 308s were't so good after all).

I'm surprised that there aren't new circuits designed around the OP07 though. Still available, and just as "good" as LM308 (or maybe 308s were't so good after all).
The Rat is my favorite distortion. But the LM308 truly is an absolute garbage op amp for any other purpose. But tubes sorta fall into a similar category—they are used for their particular characteristics which happen to make them unsuitable in other circumstance.

There are plenty of new circuits—they’re all just put in the category of Rat-inspired. If you add tons of elements to it, the raggedness and unique response of the chip can be lost. See also 741 circuits and other 250/Dist+ pedals.

Reactions: spi
If I’m remembering right, the opamp big muff uses a single opamp, or at least I’ve seen a few that did. The PCBs I have, do.

The Honey Bee is a Rat derivative but uses the CA3130. I wonder what a HB would sound like with an LM308? FWIW whenever I have built a Rat or Expandora-style pedal I use a CA3130.

Reactions: spi
The Honey Bee is a Rat derivative but uses the CA3130. I wonder what a HB would sound like with an LM308? FWIW whenever I have built a Rat or Expandora-style pedal I use a CA3130.
Probably no different than swapping in a different CA3130 would sound.

Actually, I think the way the LM308 works is that....well, basically, if you put it in any pedal that uses a standard op-amp it instantly turns it into a Rat.

Got a TS-808 with a RC4558? Switch it out with a LM308 and you got an instant Rat!

Lovepedal Zendrive with a NE5532? Why? A LM308 is way better! Pop it in...instant RAT!!!

Even works with many fuzz pedals! Op-amp Big Muff? Oh, wait...that's a RC4558 as well. But it also has a UA741CP! Replace both of them wiht a LM308 and you get (you guess it!) A DOUBLE RAT! Wheeee!!

The possibilities are endless...as long as you realize that every pedal becomes a Rat. :p

Facetious a little Jeff?

The 4558 & 5532 are both dual op-amp chips...

So while you could replace the IC-Muff's 741 with a 308, the 4558 will require two (2) more 308s ... a triple-308 pedal!

Mwahhahahahahahahhhhaaaaaaa...

I went down this rabbit whole a while back over on another forum. Most everything that uses that chip is a rat clone, a modded rat clone or heavily inspired by the rat. The only one that turned up for me was an Attack-Decay pedal from the seventies. I haven't had a chance but I want to build it one of these days.

Facetious a little Jeff?

The 4558 & 5532 are both dual op-amp chips...

So while you could replace the IC-Muff's 741 with a 308, the 4558 will require two (2) more 308s ... a triple-308 pedal!

Mwahhahahahahahahhhhaaaaaaa...
Oh, I'm just teasing. :p

Honestly, I can't think of anything to use an LM308 for. OP07's are just as good and they're pretty much being relegated to Rat-like circuits. Everything else that uses op-amps pretty much uses standard stuff (4558, TL072, etc.). Then there's those oddballs like the Zendrive (NE5532P) and such.

Last edited:
Back