Lone King

JamieJ

Still searching for my favourite overdrive…
This one sounds pretty cool. I haven’t played too much with it yet but it seems a pretty decent sounding pedal. For some reason I have put off building a TS based pedal. Not sure why but thought this one had some extra interesting features including the switch and the body control to be worthwhile. I can't believe the actual pedal is going for $265.

I had some troubleshooting to do initially when the relay bypass wouldn’t turn off. I cleaned the board again, reflowed joints and checked values and orientation but no dice. It turned out it was a defective NE555 IC. Now it’s working perfectly with a replacement.

I could only get hold of a W20k pot instead of a W25k and I used a C250k pot with a 390k resistor between lugs 1 & 3 which gave the pot a value of 143k instead of the C150k. I also subbed the tantalum caps, as I couldn't find that value anywhere online. The glass/stock/edge switch is pretty useful. I am due to place an order for some faceplates for my most recent builds so I will see if i prefer this bare or with a faceplate.

IMG_1430.jpg
IMG_1378.jpg
IMG_1433.jpg

Thanks guys!

I am really enjoying using the relays @fig . It has taken a bit of used not having the click of a 3PDT. I am not sure I would use them for every build but it makes the build last a bit longer.

Reactions: fig
Very clean build! Great work. I've bought a couple of the matte army green enclosures from Tayda recently. I think they look great even if you leave it without a faceplate.

Thanks guys!

I am really enjoying using the relays @fig . It has taken a bit of used not having the click of a 3PDT. I am not sure I would use them for every build but it makes the build last a bit longer.
Have you tried the gorva 3pdt Jamie? It feels lovely to use. I've been using opto switching up until now as I hated 3pdts but they've totally changed my mind.

Lovely build btw.

Have you tried the gorva 3pdt Jamie? It feels lovely to use. I've been using opto switching up until now as I hated 3pdts but they've totally changed my mind.

Lovely build btw.
No I haven’t tried those switches. I’ll have a look. Is the opto switching more about preventing popping? I have seen the fuzz dog board for those.

No I haven’t tried those switches. I’ll have a look. Is the opto switching more about preventing popping? I have seen the fuzz dog board for those.
I started using it because the dpdt switch felt nicer to use than 3pdt. Much less of a clunk when you engaged it plus I felt they were more reliable than the 3pdts I could get at the time. I've been using opto boards from 1776 and grind customs. I've never used fuzzdogs Lee didn't do them when I stocked up initially and he uses a different opto coupler so I just stuck with what I had.

Let me know if you ever fancy trying it and I can send you a few boards. I've got quite a few left in my stash.

Back