Low Tide Envelope Problems

bobbass4k

Final parts arrived for the low tide and unfortunately its not been plug and play. The envelope/LPG part of the circuit isn't behaving, I'm only getting sound if I really dig in and then it just pushes it into momentary self oscillation. Altering the gate trimmer just changes the point at which it self oscillates?

Anybody had any similar issues before I go through it with a fine tooth comb? The 13700 and 3207 are known good and there's nothing obvious I can see...

benny_profane

Without a schematic, there isn't a lot that can happen with signal tracing. Have you confirmed your values and verified your soldering? Pictures would also be helpful.

fig

I am possibly having a similar issue regarding the gate. I am able to produce the effect but the clamp is way to prominent. Just chillin until the schematic arrives. (y)

bobbass4k

Values all OK, no issues with the soldering. Gonna try and follow the signal path best I can with an audio probe and see if there's any joy.

I guess I can understand the reasoning from a commercial perspective, and I knew it was risky, but without schematics the complex projects like this are just way too risky, I won't be doing it again.

thewintersoldier

I haven't built mine yet, but what I would do is trace the components connects to the lpg pot and start with that. You wont need a whole schematic if you want to finesse that one section. connect a looper and start doing some series/parallel experiments on the components connected to the pot while changing the knob setting. something will likely change to sensitivity of the gate. Even when we have the schematic it's not always cut and dry. Don't give up and be discouraged. I never had an original unit but it may be the nature of the beast? Plus you can be the hero who helps others thru uncharted waters!

Reactions: fig

bobbass4k

There's no marketing ploy involved, it's just a huge schematic that needs a lot of attention before posting.
Any ETA? Or if it's just a matter of formatting would you be willing to message/email me the raw version?

Last edited:

Leftovernoise

Final parts arrived for the low tide and unfortunately its not been plug and play. The envelope/LPG part of the circuit isn't behaving, I'm only getting sound if I really dig in and then it just pushes it into momentary self oscillation. Altering the gate trimmer just changes the point at which it self oscillates?

Anybody had any similar issues before I go through it with a fine tooth comb? The 13700 and 3207 are known good and there's nothing obvious I can see...
Ok this might be a stupid question but where do you have the lpg knob set? All the way to the right is no filter, all the way to the left is very filtered. Also the trimmer does cause the lpg to act weird unless you have the trimmer in the sweet spot zone, which for my unit is the last 25% of the trimmer, clockwise.

bobbass4k

Think I've tracked it to the LM258 - swapped it for half an LM324 via some flying leads and it's suddenly come to life. LPG is still behaving a little odd but I'm getting wet signal that isn't just self oscillation so I'm going on the right direction.

I'd still appreciate an ETA for the schematic, if possible.