Low tide help?

spilla

Just boxed. Im getting audio when engaged (also when bypassed) but no noticeable effect. Mix and level knob pots are working, the other pots dont really effect the audio. Any tips on where to go from here? I can post voltages if needed.

Thanks in advance!

tdSz1aL.jpg

Tried out new MCP602 chips today, but no luck - voltages are unchanged.
Will report back if I eventually sort out the issue
Working now! I took the PCB out of the enclosure to check solder joints, and suddenly it was working when checking with an audioprobe! I think the issue was a short at the back of the stereo potentiometer, I did have insulating tape there, but one of the solder joints must have poked through, and made contact with the potentiometer. I'm using a double-layer of tape now, that seems to have done the trick!

I had the same problem on my build. I had to turn the Gate trimmer almost fully CW to get an effect. Maybe that‘s also the problem on yours. :)

Still not working correctly. I thought it was jsut a matter of tuning but its still not making any effect to the audio.

Can someone confirm i have the IC's orientated correctly, build doc hasnt been updated with the new layout. Im going off the picture on the main page.

I've soldered the 3904's, bat48's and j201's to the sockets just to be sure they are contacting properly. Im also using a j201 inplace of the 2SK208-Y. I believe i have it orientated correctly. Ive also replaced the j201's with a new set just incase they were causing an issue, no change after doing so. Next up i'll swap some of the IC's.

Unfortunately i was only able to get a hold of NOS 3207's on ebay. Im hoping that isnt the issue.

Edit: When i turn mix pot anti clockwise it gets more distorted, almost behaves like a drive pedal (albeit anticlockwise) turning clockwise it cleans up and with mix on max its almost silent

Last edited:
From a quick glance, pin 4 on your BBD doesn't look right.

Double check R34 there. Looks like you have a 330K? It should be a 330 ohm.

View attachment 14945

View attachment 14946
Yep, Good Catch, R34 definitely 330K , Should be 330 ohm = Orange, Orange, Black, Black. Brown.

It's quite common when a PCB uses a 33 value to see 330 ohm, 3K3, 33K, 330K somewhere on the board!

Same with 47 value, 470 ohm, 4K7, 47K, 470K!!!

One bloody colour Band different !!!

Yep, Good Catch, R34 definitely 330K , Should be 330 ohm = Orange, Orange, Black, Black. Brown.

It's quite common when a PCB uses a 33 value to see 330 ohm, 3K3, 33K, 330K somewhere on the board!
Same with 47 value, 470 ohm, 4K7, 47K 470K!!!

One bloody colour Band different !!!

Yup...that's part of why I've taken to ordering vishay RN55's/CMF55s and PRP PR series for the majority of my builds.

One less code to decipher.

No, that didn't fix the issue. I'm starting to think the 3207's i've got are duds. They were NOS bl3207 i bought from ebay. Good news is i've ordered some V3207D from cabintech thanks to the stickied thread. Bad news is i think i've fried my randoimizer while reading voltages. But pedalpcb kindly have sent me another (also order another low tide!).

I was (before i fried the IC) seeing some change in audio when playing with the control but the BDD trimmer seem to be doing nothing. So i hoping thats the issue. In the mean time im going to check the colour codes on the resistors just incase ive misplaced another part.

Last edited:
i believe im having the same issue. i think its going to be regarding the gate area as there seems to be no real change to effect atall with that. this is the third ive built and where i et signal passing i get no effect. 3207 is legit and working. all components where replaced and used in different shallow waters to working effect.

The pinout of 2SK170 (through-hole equivalent of the 2SK208) is DGS, but the J201 pinout is DSG. I can't quite see from the photos, so make sure you've swapped the Gate & Source pins before placing it in the socket. To keep them from shorting out as you cross them over, you can use a piece of heat shrink tubing or a piece of stripped wire insulation on one lead.

The pinout of 2SK170 (through-hole equivalent of the 2SK208) is DGS, but the J201 pinout is DSG. I can't quite see from the photos, so make sure you've swapped the Gate & Source pins before placing it in the socket. To keep them from shorting out as you cross them over, you can use a piece of heat shrink tubing or a piece of stripped wire insulation on one lead.
Thanks, i had missed that.

i believe im having the same issue. i think its going to be regarding the gate area as there seems to be no real change to effect atall with that. this is the third ive

what layout are you using? the revised one (where ic 4&6 are orientated differently) or the one in the build doc?

The randomizer turned up today. Ive swapped the j201 legs as per bowanderror's advice: is this the correct pinout? I've also checked all resistor values and they seem to be correct.

Im getting audio when engaged (also when bypassed) but no noticeable effect. When mix knob is fully clockwise i get no sound and turning counter-clockwise brings the audio back.

Is that normal behaviour for the mix pot?

Attachments

• LowTide-PedalPCB-1.jpg
    LowTide-PedalPCB-1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Back