Low Tide Modulator: Abstract for sure

jeffwhitfield

Another one I'm surprised I nailed on the first try. This is one of those pedals that I though for sure would have an issue after the initial build. While it didn't work initially after firing it up for the first time, I quickly realized that I needed to adjust the internal trimmers. Took a little bit of work but nothing painful.

Gotta say, this is an odd effect...but I like it! I think this one will be good on a few songs with mostly clean tones. There's a beauty in the randomness with it. It ebbs and flows for sure. Kind of dreamy really.

Being that the effect itself is rather abstract, I figure the design should match the effect. After searching around for graphics, I stumbled onto the blue one, which looks really nice against a solid white background. I matched it up with an equally abstract font style for the logo. Only thing I don't like is the treatment of the fonts at the top. They didn't come out the way I expected...just a bit too dark. Labels on the blue do have a bit of white to help separate them but even they didn't turn out as expected.

The other thing is how the corners turned out. Can't see it in the photo but the blue tapers off in a weird way off the corners. Had I known I would have made sure to round off the graphics on the corner.

Other than that, I'm still pleased with the overall result. I can live with the flaws. Still looks good. :D
IMG_0016.jpeg

I don't know how to make the corners rounded consistently. Once you convert it to a vector image, it is hard to manipulate since it is multiple small components. I made quite a few recent designs that will probably look like this.

Draw a circle, set the layer behind where you want the edge to be, then use the Patfinder tool to punch it out of the layers you need chopped. Takes a little time but easy to do. Pretty much the same process you have to do for the white layer.

I don't know how to make the corners rounded consistently. Once you convert it to a vector image, it is hard to manipulate since it is multiple small components. I made quite a few recent designs that will probably look like this.
Create a rectangle the size of the artboard.
Effect -> convert to shape -> rounded rectangle. Then adjust that to taste.
Object -> expand
All the paths from your vectorized image should be grouped together.
Then select the vector group + the rounded rectangle and [Make Clipping Mask]

Edit: added steps
With the clipping mask still selected, choose Object > Expand
Again, leaving it all selected, click the Crop button in the Pathfinder panel.

Last edited:
Create a rectangle the size of the artboard.
Effect -> convert to shape -> rounded rectangle. Then adjust that to taste.
Object -> expand
All the paths from your vectorized image should be grouped together.
Then select the vector group + the rounded rectangle and [Make Clipping Mask]
Can you even use clipping masks with UV printing? I thought that was a no-no. Or am I wrong? Sure would simplify things if you can. 😁

Can you even use clipping masks with UV printing? I thought that was a no-no. Or am I wrong? Sure would simplify things if you can. 😁
Check post #6, I had forgotten to indicate the steps I added (I indeed didn't have any clipping mask in my final print files).
You should be good to go with that method.

Back