Low Tide Wiring Test

Jdilly

In the spirit of rock it before you box it, I built a breakout test box with in/out/power/ground connections to test my pedal builds.

I just finished this low tide pedal build, and am scratching my head with which wires to connect to my test box to from the PCB.

Thanks in advance.

PS - And yes, I will check the trim pot settings before posting any other troubleshooting posts. LOL. 😂

Attachments

• 5E64332C-34EF-44C4-9591-D9989713F1AA.jpeg
    5E64332C-34EF-44C4-9591-D9989713F1AA.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 35
Pretty easy from the build docs:

+ and - go to the power supply
IN goes to the input jack, GND next to it to the sleeve
OUT goes to the output jack, GND next to it to the sleeve

The 6 wires at the bottom go to the breakout board but you don't need it now.

I wouldn't use random wires. In the future you might want to color code them. I use red for +, black for - and GND, yellow or white for inout and blue for output.

Pretty easy from the build docs:

+ and - go to the power supply
IN goes to the input jack, GND next to it to the sleeve
OUT goes to the output jack, GND next to it to the sleeve

The 6 wires at the bottom go to the breakout board but you don't need it now.

I wouldn't use random wires. In the future you might want to color code them. I use red for +, black for - and GND, yellow or white for inout and blue for output.
Thanks so much. That makes sense.

My color code system has been: red = input, black = output, yellow = power, green = ground

Wasn't sure what the holes where I'm using white wire by the breakout board is used for.
Also, the blue wire by the breakout board is for switch, but not sure what that is for exactly.

Any thoughts?

The In and Out ports on the top of the board are just there for convenience. They have traces that connect to the two white wires in your build (i.e., the IJ and OJ for the break out board). The In and Out of the circuit are going to be the red and black wires on the bottom (the ones that connect to the breakout board). These are the ones you want to connect for testing, as well as the power + and - on the top.

Thanks so much. That makes sense.

My color code system has been: red = input, black = output, yellow = power, green = ground

Wasn't sure what the holes where I'm using white wire by the breakout board is used for.
Also, the blue wire by the breakout board is for switch, but not sure what that is for exactly.

Any thoughts?
The SW wire turns the LED on and off.

Red = power, black = ground is pretty much a universal standard. Anytime you see manufactured electronic items of any type, the red wires will be power, and black wires will be ground. Obviously don't change anything you have already done, but in future you may want to adopt this standard - it will help if anyone else comes to troubleshoot your pedals in future, and if you are automatically thinking this way it will help you to know what's going on if you come to repair someone else's circuit down the track.

That makes a ton of sense.

Are there standard colors for input, output too?
Not that I know of but a lot of people use white. Those are easier to identify because they lead to the jacks. Convenience also factors in so you'll see PCBs connected the breakout boards with solid wire or same color wires or even ribbon wire.
Color coding is more useful with offboard pots because spaghetti :)

Back