Lucky 7 (GE-7 Graphic EQ)

Guardians of the analog

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
1000010902.jpg
Guten tag fräulein, it's time for a new project. What's that? Is that a GE-7 graphic EQ with center detent pots in a 125B? Jawol 😤

I talked to David sometime in 2022 about making a legit GE-7 with sliders. The sliders became something of a hindrance as they were hard to source at the time, made the build more complicated and also required a larger enclosure. Recently he revisited the idea and decided to make it in a 125B and using 9mm pots. He sent me a board to verify and test out. So I fired up my iron and got to work. This is a faithful recreation of the classic circuit with two exceptions. The first is the change to pots vs sliders for obvious reasons. The second change is the output buffer from transistor based to opamp.

How's it sound? Like an EQ pedal dawg. It's much quieter than a stock Boss pedal due to the baked in use of film caps in the audio path, all metal film resistors and better quality opamps. At its heart it's a utility pedal but has an endless array of uses as a tone shaper and even an OD. The center detent pots make it easy to use and know where unity gain is on any given band. In the build doc I also gave him the values for the GE-7B spec for the bass players ( of which I will be building one for my bass board soon). Of course with math the values can be calculated for custom band frequencies.

The build was smooth and the pots I got from Stompboxparts. I also used some 12.7mm aluminum knobs because the look dope AF and give room between the pots. I went with a gray tayda enclosure and UV print. I went with Domino 🥵🥵🥵 and the lucky 7/dice old school tattoo theme. No demo/sound clip because it's kinda hard to show something like an EQ without a long boring knob turning video. If you want a better sounding GE-7 in a compact form then build one, or a bass version, or don't 🤷😂.
PLmjOow.jpg
4xjMbna.jpg
3fvU68C.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been hyped to see this come to fruition ever since you first told me you were talking to storyboardist about a GE-7 board. Sliders are always fun, so I was looking forward to doing that for my own, but I get why that had to be nixed from the board layout.
The graphics look incredible as always, and the guts are expectedly pristine! Top notch build as always! I love that you used center detent pots as well, as detented pots are another one of my pedalbuilding obsessions— I didn’t realize SBP had center detent 9mm pots (I had pestered them into carrying C/D 16mm pots, but the 9mm mean I can detent some 1590A builds as well— not to mention I’ll 100% be building a few of these once they hit the effects layouts store!

Guten tag fräulein, it's time for a new project. What's that? Is that a GE-7 graphic EQ with center detent pots in a 125B? Jawol 😤

I talked to David sometime in 2022 about making a legit GE-7 with sliders. The sliders became something of a hindrance as they were hard to source at the time, made the build more complicated and also required a larger enclosure. Recently he revisited the idea and decided to make it in a 125B and using 9mm pots. He sent me a board to verify and test out. So I fired up my iron and got to work. This is a faithful recreation of the classic circuit with two exceptions. The first is the change to pots vs sliders for obvious reasons. The second change is the output buffer from transistor based to opamp.

How's it sound? Like an EQ pedal dawg. It's much quieter than a stock Boss pedal due to the baked in use of film caps in the audio path, all metal film resistors and better quality opamps. At its heart it's a utility pedal but has an endless array of uses as a tone shaper and even an OD. The center detent pots make it easy to use and know where unity gain is on any given band. In the build doc I also gave him the values for the GE-7B spec for the bass players ( of which I will be building one for my bass board soon). Of course with math the values can be calculated for custom band frequencies.

The build was smooth and the pots I got from Stompboxparts. I also used some 12.7mm aluminum knobs because the look dope AF and give room between the pots. I went with a gray tayda enclosure and UV print. I went with Domino 🥵🥵🥵 and the lucky 7/dice old school tattoo theme. No demo/sound clip because it's kinda hard to show something like an EQ without a long boring knob turning video. If you want a better sounding GE-7 in a compact form then build one, or a bass version, or don't 🤷😂.
PLmjOow.jpg
4xjMbna.jpg
3fvU68C.jpg
Very sweet and very tempting.

My Wampler EQuator is currently the only pedal on my board that I didn't build. I could forgo Paremetric for 7 band for pure vanity's sake.

The only real question is "what other must-have Effects Layouts boards are there to fill out my shopping cart...?"

Back