M800 Overdrive

Not to be flippant or anything, but give it a listen and see if even needs "improving." Any idea where the trimmers are set?

I'll measure later on to confirm but from memory I set em all to 4.5 volt. I shall try also to tweak and listen a bit more, so far I'm not overwhelmed with it. Will post my results back here.

I'll measure later on to confirm but from memory I set em all to 4.5 volt. I shall try also to tweak and listen a bit more, so far I'm not overwhelmed with it. Will post my results back here.
I should have been more clear. I meant to say "at what % of rotation or resistance did you set the trimmers?" 4.5V is a starting point, but I'd expect Q2 and Q4 to be set higher. I really need to finish writing that JFET biasing article!

Just finished this build. I set the all the trimmers to 4.5V and the tone pot by ear, which ended up sounding best around 9.3V. It does that Marshall stack sound, but it's muffled, the EQ is not that responsive and it's very noisy with the gain past noon.

Not sure if it's the J201s I'm using or improper biasing, but it's pretty underwhelming so far.

Just finished this build. I set the all the trimmers to 4.5V and the tone pot by ear, which ended up sounding best around 9.3V. It does that Marshall stack sound, but it's muffled, the EQ is not that responsive and it's very noisy with the gain past noon.

Not sure if it's the J201s I'm using or improper biasing, but it's pretty underwhelming so far.
try the settings for the trimmers listed in the first post to see if that brings the pedal to life. note also that changing the j201s could make a big difference.

Just sat down with a looper pedal for 20 minutes and tested a bunch of combinations by ear. I was able to clear up the noise and got a lot more high-end clarity, but the distortion is nasty and gates quite a bit regardless of setting. The EQ is still ineffective, too. Probably going to swap the J201s when I can get my hands on some.

Just sat down with a looper pedal for 20 minutes and tested a bunch of combinations by ear. I was able to clear up the noise and got a lot more high-end clarity, but the distortion is nasty and gates quite a bit regardless of setting. The EQ is still ineffective, too. Probably going to swap the J201s when I can get my hands on some.

The SMD J201's are reliable and easy to find, and you can use these and some pin headers to install them thru-hole: https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/sot23adapter/

Might save you some time and headache down the line.

What you are describing is out of spec J201's like my first set!
Purchase a set of these pre soldered from PedalPCB and save yourself some heartache & you will get the pedal to fire up correctly.

Back