Mach 1 / Oxide HYBRID

HousTom

Love the Lightspeed but wish it had better tone control. So I used Oxide PCB to create a Mach-1 (Greer Lightspeed) but with the tone controls of an Oxide (Ibanez MT-10 Mostortion). A "hybrid".

Circuits are close enough so I just used the Mach-1's R&C values everywhere except the power supply and the tone section which remain all Oxide.
I omitted and jumpered around the Oxide's transistor I/O buffers, used an OPA2134 chip and had to "teepee" clipping diodes because the Mach-1 has more 914s than the Oxide does. Like the Oxide, the tone controls are between the op-amp stages, not after both as in the Mach-1. This gives them an almost "active" feel and they're in fact a bit touchy. I added an 18V option using the PedalPCB charge-pump 3PDT board and a "Symmetric / Asymmetric" switch that gives me the Mach-1's stock (lopsided) 5 diodes or a 3+3 option.

Fun, interesting and rewarding project. Result is excellent and very usable but unique from both its "parents".

ext.jpg guts.jpg

Awesome, I love seeing these creative ideas. I'm working on a Mach 1/Southern Belle combination. Because of the compromises it's more SB than M1, but there's a low gain mode with some of the M1 values. I've learned so much from projects like this.

That's a cool build. I'm looking forward to seeing more of these!

Reactions: fig
Back