Madbean Polytrog for my SCHMORG

dawson

*I just posted this report on the PCB's forum of origin but I wanted to share it here too.

You guys, I just finished testing/calibrating this build and I'm seriously impressed by the envelope function. Obviously anything EHX + MBP is bound to be good, but this circuit is so much more than I was expecting.

It's been described as a phaser sweep controlled by an envelope. That's exactly what it is and the demos sound great, but until I got in there touching and feeling around myself I couldn't really imagine what the interaction would feel like. You've just got to get in there. Don't take anybody's word for it, you've got to get in there yourself and let it swallow you up. I think that's the only way to know why we're all at a loss for proper explanation.

The LFO sounds pretty good too.

Here's my build- all values stock with the voltage tuned to 6.7V. I gave some lower values 6.3V-6.5V which were quite whacky and fun but in the end I came back to the original sound.
The faceplate was drawn up in Adobe Photoshop and etched into the panel with ferric chloride.

InAdaGD.jpg

aeHmaFO.jpg

*I need a bit more practice with those skinny-legged 1/8 watt resistors- I didn't realize my fillets were blobbing out until far far too late.
*I also could've used some smaller electrolytics in there next to the vactrols but I was able to make everything fit.
*Knobs look rad, but will be replaced eventually by a set that I can actually decipher from where I stand.

MAb6t2q.jpg

dDUH7H8.jpg

As stated in Brian's build doc's, a whole lot went into getting this circuit modernized and shrunken down for our DIY pleasures, and I want to join with everyone else who's built this circuit to thank MadBean for the loads of effort, expertise and talent that went into this PCB. It's truly a work of art.

If you're wondering WTF is wrong with this guy who thinks it's okay to build upside-down pedals with no pants on, this thread may answer a question or two:
SCHMORG

*I just posted this report on the PCB's forum of origin but I wanted to share it here too.

You guys, I just finished testing/calibrating this build and I'm seriously impressed by the envelope function. Obviously anything EHX + MBP is bound to be good, but this circuit is so much more than I was expecting.

It's been described as a phaser sweep controlled by an envelope. That's exactly what it is and the demos sound great, but until I got in there touching and feeling around myself I couldn't really imagine what the interaction would feel like. You've just got to get in there. Don't take anybody's word for it, you've got to get in there yourself and let it swallow you up. I think that's the only way to know why we're all at a loss for proper explanation.

The LFO sounds pretty good too.

Here's my build- all values stock with the voltage tuned to 6.7V. I gave some lower values 6.3V-6.5V which were quite whacky and fun but in the end I came back to the original sound.
The faceplate was drawn up in Adobe Photoshop and etched into the panel with ferric chloride.

InAdaGD.jpg

aeHmaFO.jpg

*I need a bit more practice with those skinny-legged 1/8 watt resistors- I didn't realize my fillets were blobbing out until far far too late.
*I also could've used some smaller electrolytics in there next to the vactrols but I was able to make everything fit.
*Knobs look rad, but will be replaced eventually by a set that I can actually decipher from where I stand.

MAb6t2q.jpg

dDUH7H8.jpg

As stated in Brian's build doc's, a whole lot went into getting this circuit modernized and shrunken down for our DIY pleasures, and I want to join with everyone else who's built this circuit to thank MadBean for the loads of effort, expertise and talent that went into this PCB. It's truly a work of art.

If you're wondering WTF is wrong with this guy who thinks it's okay to build upside-down pedals with no pants on, this thread may answer a question or two:
SCHMORG
Great build and post, @dawson. I just finished building the selfsame unit and it's very versatile with two quite distinctive and useable phaser sounds at the flick of a switch. May the SCHMORG be with you indeed.

View attachment 39994

Out standing youe etches are alway so clean! I have been intrigued by this one for a while But some how keep talking myself out of it. Well done!

Thank you!
All I can say is I wish I'd completed this sooner.
Without playing one, I had no idea what I was missing!

This is incredible! I love that you used the back plate as the face of the enclosure!

Thanks!
I started doing them all like that a couple years ago- I'll have some updated pic's of the full board before long.

Great build and post, @dawson. I just finished building the selfsame unit and it's very versatile with two quite distinctive and useable phaser sounds at the flick of a switch. May the SCHMORG be with you indeed.

Neat!
..Got a link to this 'selfsame' gadget?
I'm done building phasors for awhile but I like to know what's out there.

Thank you!
All I can say is I wish I'd completed this sooner.
Without playing one, I had no idea what I was missing!

Thanks!
I started doing them all like that a couple years ago- I'll have some updated pic's of the full board before long.

Neat!
..Got a link to this 'selfsame' gadget?
I'm done building phasors for awhile but I like to know what's out there.
IMG_0950_lores.jpg
Another (selfsame) Polytrog in progress, as you see...:giggle:
IMG_0949_lores.jpg
Testing, 1, 2, 3...:cool:

Oh!

shocked-surprised.gif

I haven't heard that phrase in a long time so I assumed you were building a PCB called the "Selfsame."
Now I understand- thank you for clearing that up!
Sorry for the confusion and glad to dispel it in one swell foop.

Back