Madbeans Archibald Question(s)

joelorigo

My brother-in-law bought a BK Butler Tube Driver and I got to try it out fo ra few minutes. I've always been interested in that one and have had my eye on the Archibald for a while. But I have never built a pedal with a tube so I am wondering is there is anything different in the process, or should know about, etc. before trying this one? I've been looking at the cool Sushi Box PCBs too!

My brother-in-law bought a BK Butler Tube Driver and I got to try it out fo ra few minutes. I've always been interested in that one and have had my eye on the Archibald for a while. But I have never built a pedal with a tube so I am wondering is there is anything different in the process, or should know about, etc. before trying this one? I've been looking at the cool Sushi Box PCBs too!
Nope, they’re all just like building a normal pedal, except they’ll shock you.

Ah ha! Good point. They can shock you after you have plugged it in for the first time?

Last edited:
I'm looking into getting the parts for this now. In the build documents it says:

Under power, the tube will get warm but not hot. The LM317 will get very hot, so don’t touch it. I used a heat sink on mine. This is not required but you can certainly do the same. If you don’t have a heat sink, then leave a couple millimeters of air gap between the regulator and PCB. That will allow air to flow under the regulator and cool it.

Should I use a heat sink? What is it? Where do I get it?

I'm looking into getting the parts for this now. In the build documents it says:

Under power, the tube will get warm but not hot. The LM317 will get very hot, so don’t touch it. I used a heat sink on mine. This is not required but you can certainly do the same. If you don’t have a heat sink, then leave a couple millimeters of air gap between the regulator and PCB. That will allow air to flow under the regulator and cool it.

I just left space, just enough for airflow.

@joelorigo I got these off Amazon for my Archibald build. (Haven't started it yet)

@joelorigo I got these off Amazon for my Archibald build. (Haven't started it yet)
Oh great, thank you! I might get them. But after seeing that, I see these on Tayda:

It looks like the are the same? Except for that pin, what's that for? And minus a screw?

When are you going to start your Archibald? I'm ordering the PCB today and putting together orders on Tayda and Love My Switches for the parts.

Do you understand what the build docs are describing here?

"The best approach is to attach a heatsink to the regulator, then float it a few mm above rather than screw
it directly through the PCB (as I did on my build). Leaving an air gap below the regulator improves heat dissipation."

Oh! PedalPCB is out of the pre-soldered J201s but I remembered I have some of these from a project I never started on:

After I bought them I kept reading about fakes so when I did need some I bought the PedalPCB pre-soldered ones. But, any reason I couldn't use one of the above?

Oh! PedalPCB is out of the pre-soldered J201s but I remembered I have some of these from a project I never started on:

After I bought them I kept reading about fakes so when I did need some I bought the PedalPCB pre-soldered ones. But, any reason I couldn't use one of the above?
I have hundreds of J201 JFETs from GuitarPCB. They are all genuine Fairchild devices. I ran every one of them across my Peak Atlas DCA75 and they're perfect. Right now, they're still on sale there at GuitarPCB. I just ordered another 50 today.

I have hundreds of J201 JFETs from GuitarPCB. They are all genuine Fairchild devices. I ran every one of them across my Peak Atlas DCA75 and they're perfect. Right now, they're still on sale there at GuitarPCB. I just ordered another 50 today.
Thanks. After I made this post I remembered I use 2 of the ones I bought in something else a year ago. There were many issues but the j202s were not one of them!

Oh great, thank you! I might get them. But after seeing that, I see these on Tayda:

It looks like the are the same? Except for that pin, what's that for? And minus a screw?

When are you going to start your Archibald? I'm ordering the PCB today and putting together orders on Tayda and Love My Switches for the parts.

Do you understand what the build docs are describing here?

"The best approach is to attach a heatsink to the regulator, then float it a few mm above rather than screw
it directly through the PCB (as I did on my build). Leaving an air gap below the regulator improves heat dissipation."
I just ordered the 9mm pots for it today from SPB. I "think" I have everything else. So probably next week sometime.

I'll be looking forward to the build report. Good luck! I'll be a few weeks behind you, probably with some noob questions.

Since this tube based pedal is new territory for me, I’ve been thinking about this build. I received the enclosure from Love My Switches yesterday.
I was planning on drilling holes in the enclosure above where the tube sits for heat dissipation but if it’s the
If the regulator that gets hot, maybe the holes should be drilled around that area. Or both, because it would be neat to see the tube. :) I am planning on having the regulator float above the pcb by several millimeters as stated in the build docs.
i don’t know, what does anyone think? Maybe I’m just overthinking this.

Since this tube based pedal is new territory for me, I’ve been thinking about this build. I received the enclosure from Love My Switches yesterday.
I was planning on drilling holes in the enclosure above where the tube sits for heat dissipation but if it’s the
If the regulator that gets hot, maybe the holes should be drilled around that area. Or both, because it would be neat to see the tube. :) I am planning on having the regulator float above the pcb by several millimeters as stated in the build docs.
i don’t know, what does anyone think? Maybe I’m just overthinking this.
It was designed to be in a closed enclosure, so really anything you do is going to be purely cosmetic. Make it YOUR OWN! :)

What is more important in this project, the correct value of a capacitor or MLCC vs ceramic?
Tayda didn't have a 120pf MLCC when I ordered my Archibald parts but I have a ceramic of that value. A local shop has MLCC in 100pf or 150pf.

What is more important in this project, the correct value of a capacitor or MLCC vs ceramic?
Tayda didn't have a 120pf MLCC when I ordered my Archibald parts but I have a ceramic of that value. A local shop has MLCC in 100pf or 150pf.
This is DIY, go with what you got. i use MLCC and ceramic. Sometimes I put them in parallel to add up to what I need.

Back