Maestro/Oberhiem PS-1A

Rambozo96

I am quite shocked that I couldn’t find one here let alone anywhere else. Used 2N4303’s for the phase stages IIRC, the 2N4303 is an oddball but apparently Smallbear sells something that will work as a substitute. Maybe something more readily available could work as a substitute like a 2N5754? Takes a bipolar 12VDC supply but I’m sure a bipolar charge pump can take care of that.

jubal81

I messed around with this one a bit. I think +9 -9 would work OK. Or one of those recom bricks for 5v to +12 -12. I wouldn't recommend trying to get 24V from a 1044 or 1054 for this.

Matching 6 JFETs will of course be the big bugaboo.

Rambozo96

One thing I guess you could add is maybe a switch to lift the 3k resistor out of the circuit (the one that feeds into the drain of Q8 in the official schematic) to achieve a vibrato effect.

Nostradoomus

If you can find 2n5952 they work just fine. The Maestro Mini Phase on tagboard effects did that sub with success. A few jfets should work as long as they are matched.

jubal81

MojohandFX has released one in a 125B size. Demos sound pretty good.
MG_6936_grande.jpg

jubal81

The Mojo one is FV-1 based (it does sound good though)
Whoa! Did not know that. Though I should have been more suspicious.

I managed to get this clone from JuanSolo in a trade. Sounds amazing, but I would really prefer a speed and depth control to the three foot switches. Adding a feedback control and stages selected wouldn't take much, either.

Bricksnbeatles

Member known well
As far as I’m concerned, the three fixed speed switches with ramping are an essential part of the PS-1a experience. Replacing that with a speed knob would be a bit disappointing.
the Heptode Virtuoso is afaik the only real clone of it that’s being produced on a non-custom basis

jubal81

As far as I’m concerned, the three fixed speed switches with ramping are an essential part of the PS-1a experience. Replacing that with a speed knob would be a bit disappointing.
the Heptode Virtuoso is afaik the only real clone of it that’s being produced on a non-custom basis
The cool thing is it'd be easy enough to make a PCB that could accommodate building it both ways. That was my plan for whenever I got around to it.

Feral Feline

It'd be cool if any extra controls were trimmers inside, or the external trimmers like on VFE / WAY HUGE — tiny-black-knobbed 9mm — sticking out the back between the jacks, but the only thing I want on the face of the pedal is those three Footswitches, and ideally spaced well apart for those of us with size13+ sneakers.

Even though the 3-knobbed Jomohand Missed-itOh might sound good enough for me to want to buy it (side-jackage kills that notion) —
I'd still want a proper 3-stomper PS-1A.