Maestro/Oberhiem PS-1A

Rambozo96

I am quite shocked that I couldn’t find one here let alone anywhere else. Used 2N4303’s for the phase stages IIRC, the 2N4303 is an oddball but apparently Smallbear sells something that will work as a substitute. Maybe something more readily available could work as a substitute like a 2N5754? Takes a bipolar 12VDC supply but I’m sure a bipolar charge pump can take care of that.

I messed around with this one a bit. I think +9 -9 would work OK. Or one of those recom bricks for 5v to +12 -12. I wouldn't recommend trying to get 24V from a 1044 or 1054 for this.

Matching 6 JFETs will of course be the big bugaboo.

One thing I guess you could add is maybe a switch to lift the 3k resistor out of the circuit (the one that feeds into the drain of Q8 in the official schematic) to achieve a vibrato effect.

If you can find 2n5952 they work just fine. The Maestro Mini Phase on tagboard effects did that sub with success. A few jfets should work as long as they are matched.

MojohandFX has released one in a 125B size. Demos sound pretty good.
MG_6936_grande.jpg

The Mojo one is FV-1 based (it does sound good though)
Whoa! Did not know that. Though I should have been more suspicious.

I managed to get this clone from JuanSolo in a trade. Sounds amazing, but I would really prefer a speed and depth control to the three foot switches. Adding a feedback control and stages selected wouldn't take much, either.

As far as I’m concerned, the three fixed speed switches with ramping are an essential part of the PS-1a experience. Replacing that with a speed knob would be a bit disappointing.
the Heptode Virtuoso is afaik the only real clone of it that’s being produced on a non-custom basis

As far as I’m concerned, the three fixed speed switches with ramping are an essential part of the PS-1a experience. Replacing that with a speed knob would be a bit disappointing.
the Heptode Virtuoso is afaik the only real clone of it that’s being produced on a non-custom basis
The cool thing is it'd be easy enough to make a PCB that could accommodate building it both ways. That was my plan for whenever I got around to it.

It'd be cool if any extra controls were trimmers inside, or the external trimmers like on VFE / WAY HUGE — tiny-black-knobbed 9mm — sticking out the back between the jacks, but the only thing I want on the face of the pedal is those three Footswitches, and ideally spaced well apart for those of us with size13+ sneakers.

Even though the 3-knobbed Jomohand Missed-itOh might sound good enough for me to want to buy it (side-jackage kills that notion) —
I'd still want a proper 3-stomper PS-1A.

Back