SOLVED Magnetron (Mag Echo) - Low volume? (Solved)

spilla

Im having an issue with low volume on this build. Delay and modulation work, however the repeats are not as pronounced my first magnetron. All knobs seems to effect the signal as they should as does the internal trimmer.

Ive reflowed all connections, i also replaced the internal trimmer. And replaced all ic's and the l7805

Only mod is the runaway feedback. Problem persists when that is removed from the circuit.

Im hoping someone can spot a wrong value part. Ive referenced the new pcb with my old magnetron and cant see anything out of place but im terrible with resistor colour codes.

Ive tried using an audio probe to find a drop in volume level but the schematic is a bit too complicated for my level of understanding.

The problem was there before i did offboard wiring, i though my test box was the issue (had problems with it recently.. now fixed)

EDIT: had a 1.2k in the 12k (r14)

JkvWXIB.jpg

czp3hdz.jpg

6Sww8ms.jpg

zOy1bXI.jpg

kInCFDN.jpg

Last edited:
Im having an issue with low volume on this build. Delay and modulation work, however the repeats are not as pronounced my first magnetron. All knobs seems to effect the signal as they should as does the internal trimmer.

Ive reflowed all connections, i also replaced the internal trimmer. And replaced all ic's and the l7805

Only mod is the runaway feedback. Problem persists when that is removed from the circuit.

Im hoping someone can spot a wrong value part. Ive referenced the new pcb with my old magnetron and cant see anything out of place but im terrible with resistor colour codes.

Ive tried using an audio probe to find a drop in volume level but the schematic is a bit too complicated for my level of understanding.

The problem was there before i did offboard wiring, i though my test box was the issue (had problems with it recently.. now fixed)

EDIT:
Soundclip: First par is the pedal bypassed, second part is magnetron engaged. There is a very noticable volume drop.

JkvWXIB.jpg

czp3hdz.jpg

6Sww8ms.jpg

zOy1bXI.jpg

kInCFDN.jpg
Kinda sounds like your main signal gets attenuated when the pedal is engaged as well. I've read that the PT2399 IC's can be inconsistent and fiddly. Have you tried a different PT2399 just to rule that out?

You seem to have a 47k in R103 instead of a 4k7... I see yellow-violet-black-red-brown....

Actually look at most 4k7, you seem to have put 47k... I could be wrong, but that would be a common mistake..

Kinda sounds like your main signal gets attenuated when the pedal is engaged as well. I've read that the PT2399 IC's can be inconsistent and fiddly. Have you tried a different PT2399 just to rule that out?

This. PT2399’s are kind of across the board. Some are very bright and loud, some are dark and quiet. If you have others I would try swapping them till you find one that works. However…

You seem to have a 47k in R103 instead of a 4k7... I see yellow-violet-black-red-brown....

Actually look at most 4k7, you seem to have put 47k... I could be wrong, but that would be a common mistake..

…this would also cause an issue.

Actually look at most 4k7, you seem to have put 47k... I could be wrong, but that would be a common mistake
I think youve spotted the problem, thanks! I'll swap those out and report back

Back