SOLVED Magnetron screw up

Jeff C

Continuing from my tremolo thread here………
I recently built the Magnetron. I was delighted when it cranked right up on the first try (I am a rank amateur who makes lots of mistakes - as one can see from my comically epic Cobalt Drive thread and slightly less comical EA Tremolo thread…..). Then after I mounted it in the enclosure - nada. It was quite a struggle getting it into the enclosure so perhaps I damaged something in the process. So I hate like damn to have to start this one as I actually had it working!! The bypass works fine. But one of the LED’s just stays lit, whether the pedal is switched on or not. It does dim when I turn the level pot and flutters with the speed pot. The other LED never lights up - perhaps I burnt it out……. When I put my audio probe on the level pot, I get nothing. On speed and depth pots, I can hear the clicking of what the delay should be. And with feedback I can hear it distorting as it turns up, but no audio sound. I tried following the audio path. I get a clear signal from the in pad, so I don’t think it’s the switch. I also get audio to r1, r2 and r3, and c1 and pin 2 on IC1. No audio on the outgoing pin 1 (according to the schematic). I get audio on one pin on the gain trimmer pot. I tried three different op amp 2134’s at the IC1 slot with no luck (using a socket). Same with IC2 and IC3. (I was hoping my problem was that I had damaged one or more of them when I was wrestling the board into the enclosure - a very tight fit!) I went ahead and reflowed EVERY solder and inspected under good light with a magnifier glass - although my skills are questionable. I then did continuity tests on all points and reflowed solder where it did not ring out consistently. All ground connections have continuity.
But I still get nothing. On the schematic I’m not sure where the point is that connects the LFO to the depth pot and C8 cap, and from the LFO to R103. Nor do I know where the +5v point is that connects to IC3 and 4. On the power side, I get continuity everywhere but tomorrow (it’s late!) I’m going to reflow a few points that are a little hard to get to ring out (but eventually do).
Any suggestions in the meantime are most welcome!

90% of the time if a pedal works out of the box and doesn't when it's in the box, it is either bad offboard wiring, or something touching something that it shouldn't be. Have a look for shorted components on the board (pots are prime candidates) and badly wired jacks. When you tried it out of the box was the footswitch attached?

Reactions: fig
90% of the time if a pedal works out of the box and doesn't when it's in the box, it is either bad offboard wiring, or something touching something that it shouldn't be. Have a look for shorted components on the board (pots are prime candidates) and badly wired jacks. When you tried it out of the box was the footswitch attached?
Well, it doesn’t work out of the box anymore. And yes, the switch has been attached from the start. Photos coming……

For what it’s worth, when I do the audio probe, I get nothing out of pin 1 on IC1 or anything thereafter. Just out of curiosity, I then made my my audio probe the in jack and tested backwards from the out pad. I got audio all the way to and including pin 11 on IC3 and the level and feedback pots. Nada thereafter. The volume decreased slightly as I went along. Not sure if any of that is meaningful or helpful! Tks!

Reflowed some more, again. No luck. At full volume input, I do get some staticky audio with definite delay effects, but nothing near acceptable. Seems like my problem is level-related, but what do I know? 🤪

I have a question about IC1. I get audio in from the in pad to IC1.2 and from there to R3. I have continuity between IC3 and IC5 (VREF), and I have continuity between IC1 and R6 and Gain-3, all as shown on the schematic. I have audio on the gain pot. But no audio on IC1.1. Should I not be getting audio there? Should it not have continuity to IC1.2? I have tried three 2134 op amps in the IC1 socket with no luck. And I have continuity between IC1.1 and both sides of R101 and one side of R100 on the power portion of the schematic.

Last edited:
You should have signal on pins 1 and 2 of IC1.1. If not, check signal on C1 and R2. R1 is a pulldown resistor and you should have signal on only 1 side of the resistor.
1659382168633.png

I get signal on C1 and R2. Also on IC1.2 but not on IC1.1. Right side of R2 and IC1.2 volume is lower. And yes, signal on only one side of R1. I’m wondering if I should try a jumper between IC1.1 and IC1.2. Perhaps ive damaged the board underneath? There is no continuity between them But they both have continuity elsewhere.

I get signal on C1 and R2. Also on IC1.2 but not on IC1.1. Right side of R2 and IC1.2 volume is lower. And yes, signal on only one side of R1. I’m wondering if I should try a jumper between IC1.1 and IC1.2. Perhaps ive damaged the board underneath? There is no continuity between them But they both have continuity elsewhere.
Do you have a voltage reading on IC1.3 ?

Pin 3 has .22v. You are correct, there is (slightly lower) sound on pin 2 but nothing on pin 1. I don’t really understand VREF but on the schematic it seems to connect pin 3 and pin 5 and I do have continuity there.

VREF is your reference voltage. On the schematic you can find it in the power section. Your input power starts at the +, goes through the protection diode (D100) and out to VCC. At the same point, R100 and R101 form a voltage divider to produce ~4.5V. C101 is a DC filter to give you "clean" power.
1659385961159.png

VREF is your reference voltage. On the schematic you can find it in the power section. Your input power starts at the +, goes through the protection diode (D100) and out to VCC. At the same point, R100 and R101 form a voltage divider to produce ~4.5V. C101 is a DC filter to give you "clean" power.
View attachment 30184
Tks! So, should I be expecting 4.5v on IC1.3 instead of .22? The only place I have more than .36 is on pin 8 where it is 9v.

Back