SOLVED Maleficent Mids suddenly has issues

ADAOCE

So I built this pedal like a year ago and it’s always worked great and I like it a lot but I unboxed it to spray paint the enclosure the other day and now when the switch is on the low setting the volume drops like 90% and you can barely hear the signal. Hi setting works.

could it be the switch is bad? Also I swapped out the TL072 and now it’s distorting like an OD (a bad one). I probably shouldn’t have swapped it I was just trying something thinking that IC was connected to the hi lo switch.

anyways TIA

This can be common with Footswitches & Toggles sitting idle,
Do you have some Electrical Cleaner, Just lets some dribble in the top of the toggle surround & toggle between Hi & Lo & work it back & forth.
Repeat the process a couple of times, It should correct it if this is the original issue.

Reactions: fig
This can be common with Footswitches & Toggles sitting idle,
Do you have some Electrical Cleaner, Just lets some dribble in the top of the toggle surround & toggle between Hi & Lo & work it back & forth.
Repeat the process a couple of times, It should correct it if this is the original issue.
Thank you I’ll try this out tonight. I have some contact cleaner I can use.

Have you probed the circuit? You can check the signal at both sides of the switch at both settings.
I haven’t built a probe yet but I have another build that has an issue so I’ll probably build one soon. Thanks. Hopefully the contact cleaner fixes the switch

Reactions: fig
I had this same issue. I discovered that the top of my dual gang pot was coming into contact with the legs of the pot above it and causing the drop. I took a small bit of gorilla tape and created a barrier between the two and it’s been good ever since.

Oh good point I’ll check that out tonight and see if that’s causing an issue. I think I put electrical tape on it but maybe it’s lifted.
Maybe it's just me but I make it a Priority to make it right before moving on to anything else!
Over 3 weeks would be an eternity for me!
I will not use Electrical tape ever in a pedal build!
This what I use for Dual Gang - 20mm Rubber self adhesive pads!

1620212784486.png

My 2 cents!

Maybe it's just me but I make it a Priority to make it right before moving on to anything else!
View attachment 11571

My 2 cents!
That’s a totally fair way to look at it! This was one of the first pedals I had built and to be honest I don’t use it too often I only noticed it wasn’t working after putting it back in my board while I was messing around with another build. I’m gonna reuse the enclosure for a tone job which might take its place anyways.

My time is pretty limited between work and kids. I have to triage my builds. Unfortunately I gave up (for now) on a lightspeed build that I was going back and forth with someone here for a long time. Maybe I’ll revisit that one.

so the electrical tape was a rookie mistake then? Curious why you don’t use it. Is it because it doesn’t adhere well long term or something? Or it can be pierced? I used a piece of cardboard on future DG pot builds

That’s a totally fair way to look at it! This was one of the first pedals I had built and to be honest I don’t use it too often I only noticed it wasn’t working after putting it back in my board while I was messing around with another build. I’m gonna reuse the enclosure for a tone job which might take its place anyways.

My time is pretty limited between work and kids. I have to triage my builds. Unfortunately I gave up (for now) on a lightspeed build that I was going back and forth with someone here for a long time. Maybe I’ll revisit that one.

so the electrical tape was a rookie mistake then? Curious why you don’t use it. Is it because it doesn’t adhere well long term or something? Or it can be pierced? I used a piece of cardboard on future DG pot builds

If I got a Dollar for everytime someone here has used Electrical Tape as an Insulator between a Pot, Dual Gang & PCB that Failed , I could have purchased a great pedal.
I also listed in Troubleshooting how mandatory it is to use Dust covers on standard pots under PCB's also:
https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/important-dust-covers-for-16mm-potentiometers.2398/

The Lightspeed is a favorite of mine & I have built over 200+ different pedals.

Cheers music6000

If I got a Dollar for everytime someone here has used Electrical Tape as an Insulator between a Pot, Dual Gang & PCB that Failed , I could have purchased a great pedal.
I also listed in Troubleshooting how mandatory it is to use Dust covers on standard pots under PCB's also:
https://forum.pedalpcb.com/threads/important-dust-covers-for-16mm-potentiometers.2398/

The Lightspeed is a favorite of mine & I have built over 200+ different pedals.

Cheers music6000
Good to know! I’ve seen that thread but never read it because I always try and get the pots with the dust covers or I buy extra covers from tayda. I need to go check all my DG builds now lol.

sounds like I have to get that lightspeed working then..

View attachment 11571

My 2 cents!
I’m with you I’m still dicking around with that monarch when I have time. I can’t move on until the problem is resolved. Life’s been busy throwing curves at me lately so I haven’t had the time to really focus on it but I totally can relate to what you’re saying.

View attachment 11571

My 2 cents!
This is a good idea. I could not get a dust cap to fit the dual gang pot, so I used the tape as proof of what was causing the issue.

The issue is solved and the pedal works beautifully again!!! This was definitely one of my first pedals just kinda sloppy and didn’t properly clip leads which poked through the electrical tape. Clipped them off and it’s all set. Thanks for the help guys.

Back