Maratac Hobby Hands

mdc

I've not used one personally, but the maratac stuff tends to be decent quality. Might be something you could find under a different brand for a bit less? Anyway, they seem well liked and definitely a step up from the 'sad robot with hook hands' mag glass/alligator clip style.

Hell, 20 bucks ain't much to me. Especially considering that most other solutions in this vein don't really...uhhh...work.

Though, I gotta wonder...like...is a ball joint sandwiched between two plates held together by a wing nut really the best mechanical joint we could use here? I know that any time the parts count goes up on something like that, the more easily disassembled it is, the more likely I am to have a fastener or part disappear into the either.

I know that any time the parts count goes up on something like that, the more easily disassembled it is, the more likely I am to have a fastener or part disappear into the either.
stop playing with the tools!

I do follow you though....I don't use anything but a cut mat. No blue tack, no "War of The Worlds" black arms with clips (though I have one somewhere). I might stick a piece of cardboard under a corner to level or stabilize the board while soldering. I keep a couple of alligator clips for especially tedious joints....wow a double-entendre!

I use one of the yellow ones from Amazon that has four little arms on the corners (War of the Worlds - I like that!). I use three to hold the PCB and the 4th to rest my hand on. I'm right handed and have some nerve issues down my right arm which cause it to be really unsteady when griping something like a pencil and having the front right arm to steady my hand is helpful.

And blue tack is great stuff!

Reactions: fig
man I've been needing to buy a third hand for a long time now

this is out of stock on that website and I don't really want to buy the one on Amazon, any other options?

Fig, playing with tools is better than playing with ... alone at home in the bedroom! I'd never get to gig if I didn't play with tools.
Mind, pot calling kettle...

I've got both the commong third-hand contraption ...

third-hand-tool-on-gray-260nw-1820489564.jpg

... and the PCB holder...
1625616588834.jpeg

Yet I often solder on a small box (like those used to ship/display iPhones etc), or right on the cutting mat.

I rarely use the former and the latter's jaws are hard plastic so they don't actually grip a PCB very well.

Still, they come in handy on occasion.

I've been wanting to get the Dr Octopus/War of the Worlds type, but is it going to get used or just sit alongside the other two only to be dusted off on occasion?

I was jonesing for a phone PCB tablet:

2a43b6a833ebf2fc2b08dab2e21cc693.jpg

Now that I've settled into building more, I honestly think I'd use the phone-PCB holder regularly (until it arrives and I work with it and discover its foibles and idiosyncrasies).

That Maratac stuff does look tempting...

Fig, playing with tools is better than playing with ... alone at home in the bedroom! I'd never get to gig if I didn't play with tools.
Mind, pot calling kettle...

I've got both the commong third-hand contraption ...

third-hand-tool-on-gray-260nw-1820489564.jpg

... and the PCB holder...
View attachment 13366

Yet I often solder on a small box (like those used to ship/display iPhones etc), or right on the cutting mat.

I rarely use the former and the latter's jaws are hard plastic so they don't actually grip a PCB very well.

Still, they come in handy on occasion.

I've been wanting to get the Dr Octopus/War of the Worlds type, but is it going to get used or just sit alongside the other two only to be dusted off on occasion?

I was jonesing for a phone PCB tablet:

2a43b6a833ebf2fc2b08dab2e21cc693.jpg

Now that I've settled into building more, I honestly think I'd use the phone-PCB holder regularly (until it arrives and I work with it and discover its foibles and idiosyncrasies).

That Maratac stuff does look tempting...

This is how I use mine (though when working I have the top two clipped on as well, this was just to snap a pic). I put the components in, then flip over and solder. The front right one that's out of frame is used mainly to help steady my hand.

I work standing and even though I am at a standing workbench I need the additional height that the arms provide. YMMV!

WOTW.jpg

Back