MBP Collosalus- Chromesthesia

Synchrony Pedalworks

Wanted to share this build. I have an MXR micro flanger, but wasn’t in love with it. I had planned to get MBP’s Electric Mistress clone, but they sold out of it during the big sale. Fortunately, I landed on this pedal. It is fantastic. I really like the smoothness of the flanging. It is not to sharp (treble) like the MXR micro flanger.

The build was straight forward, except that I forgot to get 25 V electrolytic caps. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Fortunately, one section didn’t need the 25 V rating and I got lucky and found a 25V cap in my stash of drone parts.

The name, Chromesthesia, means to hear sounds in color. This pedal reminded me of some of the sound Eric Clapton achieves on 24 nights, especially the opening line to Wonderful Tonight. I have always imagine the color pink with that line; hence the color of the pedal.

Thanks for reading and happy building!
D2491158-0028-499A-A0F6-8A84388D7C44.jpeg D1E7C564-A1C5-4480-8C12-EB0F6AAFE505.jpeg

Very nice! Did you paint it or is it powder coat?
The enclosure is Viola Pink from Tayda. I use vinyl decals and spray Kyrlon acrylic spray to seal the decals. I was using a gloss acrylic spray, but the pedal now has a matte finish. I was spraying during a higher humidity time (tropical storm). I wonder if there was a reaction that contributed to the matte finish. Regardless, I liked the end product. Has anyone had that problem before?

The enclosure is Viola Pink from Tayda. I use vinyl decals and spray Kyrlon acrylic spray to seal the decals. I was using a gloss acrylic spray, but the pedal now has a matte finish. I was spraying during a higher humidity time (tropical storm). I wonder if there was a reaction that contributed to the matte finish. Regardless, I liked the end product. Has anyone had that problem before?
Nice work! I've had a matte-ish result from spraying clear coats when too cold so it wouldn't surprise me that humidity would be an issue. I started using rustoleum rattle can lacquer instead of krylon acrylic and have had less wonky results. Smells way more toxic too so that's fun.

Nice work! I've had a matte-ish result from spraying clear coats when too cold so it wouldn't surprise me that humidity would be an issue. I started using rustoleum rattle can lacquer instead of krylon acrylic and have had less wonky results. Smells way more toxic too so that's fun.
Thanks for sharing. I may keep the garage door down next time! I can enjoy the warmth and the fumes! 🤣. I am making a joke, but this is good information to have. Thanks.

Wanted to share this build. I have an MXR micro flanger, but wasn’t in love with it. I had planned to get MBP’s Electric Mistress clone, but they sold out of it during the big sale. Fortunately, I landed on this pedal. It is fantastic. I really like the smoothness of the flanging. It is not to sharp (treble) like the MXR micro flanger.

The build was straight forward, except that I forgot to get 25 V electrolytic caps. 🤦🏻‍♂️ Fortunately, one section didn’t need the 25 V rating and I got lucky and found a 25V cap in my stash of drone parts.

The name, Chromesthesia, means to hear sounds in color. This pedal reminded me of some of the sound Eric Clapton achieves on 24 nights, especially the opening line to Wonderful Tonight. I have always imagine the color pink with that line; hence the color of the pedal.

Thanks for reading and happy building!
View attachment 35894View attachment 35895
I'm sitting on this board (also from the sale, and also because the Current Lover was sold out....:))

This is making me want to build it out now. I have the Byzantium and the 'Lectric LadyLand, very different flangers. The BF-2 is a bit over the top, jet airplane swooshy....very cool but not a lot of subtlety. The LadyLand is more Mistress territory but with Chuck D Bones mods....

Back