[MBP] Fraudhacker

jessenator

Behold, The Fraught Fraud Hacker!

When I think of fraud, I think of crime, and by extension fat cat businessmen :devilish: The allure of wealth can grease the palms of many a broker and businessman who wants his filthy lucre badly enough.

T9qj2CW.jpg

7yPirC4.jpg

DmBrbj8.jpg

ANUyi4n.jpg

I absolutely loved Madbean's tribute to RLM with this pedal's name, as well as the original etched face plate for the launch/debut. I felt like I needed to go in a different direction with the graphics, even though putting any combination of caricature of Mike, Jay, Rich, or any of the other regulars would have also been wonderful. This was originally going to be on a bright magenta enclosure. A friend suggested gold, and I waffled a bit, before going to see that Tayda was sold out of the brightest magenta/pink enclosure powder coat, so you won out again, paulie : P

The design is inspired by a large sign I would see on the way to work: a businessman in a suit, wearing a big smile, arms stretched heavenward with the bold text "BANKRUPTCY!" underneath. Such a bizarre juxtaposition, I had to riff on it. "I'M SO ELATED TO BE DOING AN CRIME!"

I half-seriously call this the Fraughthacker, because in my haste this thing was nearly botched. I forgot a number of components in the enclosure order, and then I had ticking issues, and then I discovered my interpretation of the voltage reg datasheet was backwards, and therefore the regulator was backwards! (shout out to mbforum members blackhatboojum, Govmnt_Lacky, jimilee, and Bio77 for helping me troubleshoot the thing, because I had almost resigned to buying a new board)

Thankfully, the MN3007 wasn't toasted, and even more thankfully, Cabintech had one [1] 3207 in stock and I jumped on it. I only started with the 3007, because I had one out of a Pork Barrel/CE-2 I'm still trying to suss out a gain drop issue with, and the 3207 was unobtanium. I had the presence of mind to at least solder in pin headers to jumper for when the time came. Turns out it was sooner than expected.

There was also a scare yesterday when I was finishing it up… I had put green frog tape over the top to protect the UV print while I was transplanting, assembling, etc., and then more than a few weeks went by waiting for parts, mucking it up. Then I go to peel it off, and there's a f i l m on the art where the tape made contact. Thankfully (more than) a bit of 90% isopropanol sorted that out, but boy it made my heart sink a bit.

I didn't know if the anodized gold knobs and the sparkle gold powder coat finish would clash, but I think it's just fine now it's all assembled.

Thanks for looking.

thumb:
T9qj2CWt.jpg

Last edited:
Behold, The Fraught Fraud Hacker!

When I think of fraud, I think of crime, and by extension fat cat businessmen :devilish: The allure of wealth can grease the palms of many a broker and businessman who wants his filthy lucre badly enough.

T9qj2CW.jpg

7yPirC4.jpg

DmBrbj8.jpg

ANUyi4n.jpg

I absolutely loved Madbean's tribute to RLM with this pedal's name, as well as the original etched face plate for the launch/debut. I felt like I needed to go in a different direction with the graphics, even though putting any combination of caricature of Mike, Jay, Rich, or any of the other regulars would have also been wonderful. This was originally going to be on a bright magenta enclosure. A friend suggested gold, and I waffled a bit, before going to see that Tayda was sold out of the brightest magenta/pink enclosure powder coat, so you won out again, paulie : P

The design is inspired by a large sign I would see on the way to work: a businessman in a suit, wearing a big smile, arms stretched heavenward with the bold text "BANKRUPTCY!" underneath. Such a bizarre juxtaposition, I had to riff on it. "I'M SO ELATED TO BE DOING AN CRIME!"

I half-seriously call this the Fraughthacker, because in my haste this thing was nearly botched. I forgot a number of components in the enclosure order, and then I had ticking issues, and then I discovered my interpretation of the voltage reg datasheet was backwards, and therefore the regulator was backwards! (shout out to mbforum members blackhatboojum, Govmnt_Lacky, jimilee, and Bio77 for helping me troubleshoot the thing, because I had almost resigned to buying a new board)

Thankfully, the MN3007 wasn't toasted, and even more thankfully, Cabintech had one [1] 3207 in stock and I jumped on it. I only started with the 3007, because I had one out of a Pork Barrel/CE-2 I'm still trying to suss out a gain drop issue with, and the 3207 was unobtanium. I had the presence of mind to at least solder in pin headers to jumper for when the time came. Turns out it was sooner than expected.

There was also a scare yesterday when I was finishing it up… I had put green frog tape over the top to protect the UV print while I was transplanting, assembling, etc., and then more than a few weeks went by waiting for parts, mucking it up. Then I go to peel it off, and there's a f i l m on the art where the tape made contact. Thankfully (more than) a bit of 90% isopropanol sorted that out, but boy it made my heart sink a bit.

I didn't know if the anodized gold knobs and the sparkle gold powder coat finish would clash, but I think it's just fine now it's all assembled.

Thanks for looking.
Super clean build! Glad you got the voltage regulator issue sorted! The BF-2 is my favorite flanger (although I built the Byzantium).

Back