MBP Sawse (DOD 440)...

Coda

I got this pcb off of someone around here several months ago. The MadBeanPedals 'Sawse' is a DOD 440 Envelope Filter. It was a pretty simple build...surprisingly uneventful, actually. The pedal sounds just as it should. Its a subtle effect, but not really. I really like it. I added a single mod...one inspired by EQD.

And I have a video example, to prove it’s not just another Rat…

Attachments

• 285B087F-13D8-4CDE-A90D-FC46F8EF3E80.jpeg
    285B087F-13D8-4CDE-A90D-FC46F8EF3E80.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 274C5005-D1FE-447C-BFE2-14D8F1D41BE9.jpeg
    274C5005-D1FE-447C-BFE2-14D8F1D41BE9.jpeg
    145.3 KB · Views: 31
Daaamn, that funky! I believe this is the one you can mod for a reverse filter, if I’m not mistaken. I modded one of mine to do that.

Nice one! Surprised to see it work well with the reissue vactrol. I wasn't able to get the circuit working with that part. Also, is the EQD mod a blinding white LED?

Blinding light indeed. I had planned to use a 3mm soft blue LED…but I’m out of 3mm bezels. So I found a clear 5mm, and it’s a spotlight.

I got the vactrol at Small Bear. I didn’t even consider it not working. I was more annoyed with the IC. Build doc calls for a TL022, of which I have about 5 or 6. Couldn’t find them anywhere, so I went with a TL072. Works fine.

Blinding light indeed. I had planned to use a 3mm soft blue LED…but I’m out of 3mm bezels. So I found a clear 5mm, and it’s a spotlight.

I got the vactrol at Small Bear. I didn’t even consider it not working. I was more annoyed with the IC. Build doc calls for a TL022, of which I have about 5 or 6. Couldn’t find them anywhere, so I went with a TL072. Works fine.
Definitely does! This thread details my attempt at this circuit.

I haven't read through your entire thread, but the Sawse has some component value differences compared to the DOD schematic floating around.

Did you try those values? I've recommended them to a few folks but haven't heard back whether or not they actually helped.
I can’t remember if I did or not. It’s been a bit. I do know I did reference the MBP schematic while troubleshooting though. I’ll have to revisit the circuit and be sure to try the other values.

I built the sawse, coda got this board from me I believe. The component changes were from the red box Variant. I like those values better than the green box. The key for me was getting my hands on an original vactrol, that made all the difference. The reissues sound anemic next to the real thing, it gives it more balls and range. Turned out good though @Coda

Yes, I remembered who it was, and was going to give you credit, but you beat me to it.

I love how subtle this effect is, but it’s not subtle, at the same time. It’s kind of like a good chorus for me: it’s on and sounds natural enough that maybe it’s not on…

Back