DEMO MBP Total Recall (EHX Deluxe Memory Man)

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
First of a couple of build reports I've got coming today.

I built a few pedals over the weekend and didn't stop to post anything....I was on a roll catching up on some solder fumes hahahah.

So I'm a bit ashamed to admit this is my second attempt at this build. The first one is still on the debugging bench and I can't quite figure out what's wrong with it.
I have plenty of clean signal but no delay. I suspect it has something to do with me trying to get cute and cramming it into a 1590BB. I had to locate a number of components on the back side of the board to make it all work and I probably screwed something up. Not giving up on it, but I decided to order a second board and build it "proper".

Speaking of which, I ordered the 1590BB2 from Tayda.....and duhhh....learned that the BB2 is not the same thing as what MBP calls the "1590BB Tall".
I have no idea what a "BB Tall" is but the project is intended for a 125b depth enclosure. I highly recommend getting the right size enclosure for this build. It's a tight fit.

Anyway, since I already had the BB2 I decided to make it work. I had to use Lumberg jacks and do some "jiggering" with the voltage regulator to make it all fit
but it fired right up the first time.

There's a detailed set of instructions on how to properly bias this board but ironically, where I wound up was pretty much all the trimmers at noon.

Like the MPB Tourbus I had built this is a fantastic EHX Deluxe Memory Man analog delay project. MBP did a fabulous job with both versions of this pedal and it remains my favorite delay pedal.

It's not an inexpensive pedal to build, nor is it the easiest build. But it is extremely rewarding if you like analog delays with some modulation. (Actually both are capable of a LOT of modulation).

I was pretty curious as to how different the two pedals would sound but I find them to be extremely close sounding. The Total Recall might have a "smidge" more modulation on tap but that's at extreme settings which I don't use.

I wired the Total Recall with the "stock" non-bypassed wiring so the "Level" control is always active.
I absolutely love the sound of two DMM's running into each other for a dual delay sound.

I recorded a short demo clip comparing the two pedals, showing off some knob tweaking and finally dialing "my delay sound" albeit a bit wetter than I would normally run it. With two of these puppies running together you really don't need a reverb pedal.

Super happy with how this turned out. Big shout out to @Phil hodson for sending me the right size 470uf cap and to @Guardians of the analog for the inspiration!

IMG_4304.JPG

IMG_4303.JPG

I got a new camera to be able to to Picture in Picture pedal demos. Still learning how to use it.

That demo does sound awesome. I need to build mine (and buy a Skoolie when they're in stock). I agree with not needing reverb, which could be a good thing, I haven't found a DIY reverb which didn't annoy me..

Another solid build Michael, I guess only you would try and cram it in a 1590b😂

That demo does sound awesome. I need to build mine (and buy a Skoolie when they're in stock). I agree with not needing reverb, which could be a good thing, I haven't found a DIY reverb which didn't annoy me..
Reverb in an amp is totally different, the only reverb pedal Ive ever liked is the deadendfx hooke, but that replaced my outboard fender tube reverb for the drip.

Looks awesome. I still need to get all the parts to build mine. Did you have any issues finding all the components? And is it center pos? I read he’s coming out with a re-worked center neg sometime.

Looks awesome. I still need to get all the parts to build mine. Did you have any issues finding all the components? And is it center pos? I read he’s coming out with a re-worked center neg sometime.
It's "Positive Ground" circuit and uses a "pin positive" adapter. It's highly recommended to use the actual EHX wall wart for the DMM so that's what I got.

No issues with sourcing the components except the MN3005's can be iffy as to stock and they're not cheap (the Xvive repro's are still around $19 ea). If you want to find real NOS BBD chips they can be pretty astronomically priced and a crapshoot if they're legit or not.
I'd recommend getting the Xvive MN3005's from CabinTech. They have them in stock right now. If you're planning to use the expansion board and using 4x MN3008's you're pretty much limited to NOS chips as no one makes a repro right now. But CabinTech has them in stock right now also and they're probably the only place I trust to buy NOS BBD's. For sure you'll get legit chips.

Everything else on the BOM are common components and easily sourced.

Edit: Oh and I'll add, get the right size enclosure....:)....it will make your life a lot easier. I've seen them called 125BB, basically you want a 1590BB with the depth of a 125B. I'm not exactly sure what the 1590 designation is.

Edit: Oh and I'll add, get the right size enclosure....:)....it will make your life a lot easier. I've seen them called 125BB, basically you want a 1590BB with the depth of a 125B. I'm not exactly sure what the 1590 designation is.
called 1590bbs, got 1 for his Collo board instead of the lum type jacks. beautiful work Michael. At least now I know I don't have my tourbus tooo faar off for settings on the trimpots.... :ROFLMAO:

called 1590bbs, got 1 for his Collo board instead of the lum type jacks. beautiful work Michael. At least now I know I don't have my tourbus tooo faar off for settings on the trimpots.... :ROFLMAO:
Thanks! Ok, so I guess you can't get one from Tayda then? (1590BBS)

Looks and sounds awesome. Do you think between the Total Recall and the Tourbus, one is harder to build? I've been thinking about the Tourbus since your build report. It would be nice to have it in the smaller enclosure.

Looks and sounds awesome. Do you think between the Total Recall and the Tourbus, one is harder to build? I've been thinking about the Tourbus since your build report. It would be nice to have it in the smaller enclosure.
The TB requires specific sized components since it's a double sided board. It's a bit more complicated build.

Edit: I meant to say double "stacked" board.

Last edited:
Orange enclosure, one of my favourite of all time knobs large white, cool circuit, clean build.

LOVE this one.

The more combos I (try to) build, the more I realise the 1590XX isn't that big. I mean, it's like two 1590N1 boxes stuck together — cause no way ho zayee can two 1590N1-sized PCBs get together in a 1590BB (whether regular, or with appendices "2", or "S").

1550G — now that's BIG & TALL...

Orange enclosure, one of my favourite of all time knobs large white, cool circuit, clean build.

LOVE this one.

The more combos I (try to) build, the more I realise the 1590XX isn't that big. I mean, it's like two 1590N1 boxes stuck together — cause no way ho zayee can two 1590N1-sized PCBs get together in a 1590BB (whether regular, or with appendices "2", or "S").

1550G — now that's BIG & TALL...
The forum needs to stop reminding me of the 1550G :ROFLMAO:

I swear, next time I order enclosures I'm grabbing a couple

MFOS Sub-Commander guitar synth, got it from SynthCube.

Blue enclosure is a 1590BB... looks positively diminutively dinky compared to the 1590XX (Junk Trunk & Boom Boom), 1590DD, and TALL 1550Gs.

Sorry MichaelW, don't mean to hijack your build thread, but...
Now I've got myself curious — If you did do a combo large-enclosure build, I wonder what circuits you'd throw together for yourself or for your brother or ...?

MFOS Sub-Commander guitar synth, got it from SynthCube.

Blue enclosure is a 1590BB... looks positively diminutively dinky compared to the 1590XX (Junk Trunk & Boom Boom), 1590DD, and TALL 1550Gs.

Sorry MichaelW, don't mean to hijack your build thread, but...
Now I've got myself curious — If you did do a combo large-enclosure build, I wonder what circuits you'd throw together for yourself or for your brother or ...?
I'll definitely keep an eye out for your build report. Always been interested in that one, but haven't taken the plunge

I'm also curious, @MichaelW

Back