MDMA

HousTom

Finished this up today and I think it's the first one I've ever posted. Not a challenging build - no surprises or issues. I used clear decal "paper" for the lettering. The "Bass" and "Tone" controls on this box are remarkably versatile and they're interactive with the Gain so it's really flexible just stock.
But I made several mods that I think changed this from a pretty good pedal to a great pedal, at least for my taste:

1. TL072 instead of the MC1458. Much quieter! And I prefer the way it clips ("Open" Mode, a.k.a. Op-Amp clipping is one of this pedal's best chops). IC is socketed.
2. Moved the mode switch offboard using two SPSTs instead of one DPDT. This creates a fourth mode: soft diode clipping a.k.a. "Smooth", hard diode clipping a.k.a. "Crunch", no diodes just Op-Amp clipping a.k.a. "Open", or ALL THE CLIPPING a.k.a. "Kitchen Sink".
3. Replaced the hard clipper 4148s with red LEDs (and a series 2K resistor). Makes that mode more usable in my opinion. All diodes are socketed.
4. Replaced D2 & D3 soft clipper 4148s with resistors for a soft clipping mode I find more usable. All diodes are socketed.
5. Switched the tone-control cap from 22n to 10n (socketed) giving that control a little wider usable sweep.

The cumulative effect of these mods changes the pedal quite a bit. It's marketed as "transparent" and my build is even more "transparent" than stock.
And with the option of engaging both hard and soft clipping it can also become a sustain-for-days gain beast. Hard not to love something this versatile.

finished_1.jpg

finished_2.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting build, cool name.

I'll have to try playing around with your resistors as clippers mod (should go well with plugging a bass through it, I imagine).

Reactions: fig
Back