Ming the Merciless - Phase 2

jubal81

Finally got around to finishing this one today when I had an inspiration for a LDR cap.
Took a pot dust cap, covered it with aluminum foil and then some white duct tape i had around. Then I took another strip of foil and applied the tape to both sides, like a duct tape-aluminum foil sandwich, and looped it to make the tubular 'wall' of the cover and stuck it in the covered dust cap.

Wish I were better at photographing this acrylic. When you can get the glare out, it looks a lot duller in photos than in person.

Ming-top.jpg

Ming-Gut.jpg

Excellent and such a great chewy phaser sound! That light shield looks like a cupcake with lots of icing ;)

Love the theme! I was obsessed with this movie back when I was seven or so. Watched it with my daughters and they thought it was hilarious. This is still my favorite phase circuit.

I built a Phase 2 on a home-etched PCB years ago and stupidly gave it away. First time I fired that one up, it immediately reminded me of the sound effects from Flash Gordon.

mings-ring.jpg

Ha! I actually found it!
I had been planning to do my own 125B layout back in like 2012. It didn't work out and I never went back and finished it.

I made this enclosure for it, though. Polished 125B, etched and filled with red sparkle paint. The center of the swirl was to be the flashing rate indicator.

IMG-0783.jpg

Oh yeah, same sparkle technique as the flanger you did back then! Seems like anything that's modulation and has a flashing indicator would fit the bill.

Back